"general leo care" should have sticky

nats

I notice new folks always asking the same questions regarding basic leo care such as housing, heating, etc. and members keep providing the same answers.
I think these redundent posts are a strain on the forum.
Wouldnt it be better to have some stickies for these general questions?
I know there are several "care" sheets and other instructions all of the net for anyone who has the inclination to search for. But they dont!
I put together a post called "how to receive your new leo" intended for the complete newbie, but now it's buried somewhere, and no one will ever see it again.
I would be happy to help out and write up some general care and husbandry stuff if I knew it would be a sticky and not get lost in the hundreds of posts.
What do you think?

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
It seems like it would be a good idea but many members post before they look around. There are over 20 stickies in the Announcements section by the administration here that must not get looked at very often. One of those stickies asks that members utilize the Search function. Marcia's Slurry recipe is a sticky at the top of the Health and Medications section but people still ask where to find it.

nats

LOL!! yes, I noticed.
Lots of folks asking about the recipe and it's right there in front of them.
Also, allot of folks refuse to use the search function.

All I am saying is, if you had a sticky labeled in bold type at the head of the forum menu, folks would probably use it.

If you deleted all the redundant posts like, "how big a tank should I get", "do they need a UVB", "what kind of substrate should I use", etc members would be able to navigate through the forum faster.

You could have for example, in the general husbandry area, a sticky on top (in bold type) that says " Basic leopard gecko care for newbies" or "Basic housing do's and dont's for newbies", etc.

Of course, there are always going to be some people who will not lift a finger to help themselves, they would rather start a new thread and wait days for the right answer when they could have gotten their info in minutes.

For folks like that, there is nothing you can do, but I think these stickies would still be helpful and benifical to majority of members.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I tend to agree with Mel. People don't always look at the 'stickys' at the top of the forum, and don't use the 'search' function when looking for commonly asked/answered questions. For example, my slurry recipe is posted as a sticky at the top of the "Health and Medications" forum, but I still get several PM's or emails a week asking what the slurry recipe is.

We can certainly pose this idea in the Administration/Moderator's Forum and see what the general consensus is. We have discussed in the past having a "Care Sheet" Forum with links to various breeder's care sheets, but then there is the issue over who's is best and which one(s) have the most accurate information. It is a subjective issue.

nats

Golden Gate Geckos said:
I tend to agree with Mel. People don't always look at the 'stickys' at the top of the forum, and don't use the 'search' function when looking for commonly asked/answered questions. For example, my slurry recipe is posted as a sticky at the top of the "Health and Medications" forum, but I still get several PM's or emails a week asking what the slurry recipe is.

We can certainly pose this idea in the Administration/Moderator's Forum and see what the general consensus is. We have discussed in the past having a "Care Sheet" Forum with links to various breeder's care sheets, but then there is the issue over who's is best and which one(s) have the most accurate information. It is a subjective issue.

Yes, I can see the subjective issue being a problem. Lots of folks think they are "experts" and will want their article posted as a sticky.
You admins would just have to choose the articles you like best or copy some that have already been written.
For example, Sean Niland at VMS Herps has some very nice care sheets and info on his site. I am sure he would be happy to share them w/ the forum.
I'm sure you have written a ton of stuff as well which you could post as a sticky. I dont think anyone on this forum would argue the fact that you as an expert in the subject :)

bubblez825

Maybe go thru some known breeders that u mods have bought from & know to have great info & copy & paste diff info from diff caresheets as long as the owner gives you permission. U can pick & choose info that u think is the best & mst accurate in each section or combine some &/or add some of your own or rephrase some stuff to sound better or explain better.

Zynx_Keekeio

Another good idea would be to make it simple don't add in long paragraphs just to say

warm side is 85-90 and cool side is 70-75 and can lower at night

and don't go and give a HUGE long list of all the things Leos can eat, just make it simple

They eat mealworms and crickets
size-the width between there eyes
Other- they can eat other worms but these are great. Not high in too fat

S

Sobee

I am a newbie and I need all the help I can get. Pet store recommended sand now my leopard is impacted. Giving her mineral oil plus the stuff vet gave me. has not eaten in two weeks.

R

RepBex

i agree its better to have a sticky the search thing comes up with alot and most is not what u want

M

Musicanimal

Yes I am kind of new here as well, and I do look and search for most of my info. I have not asked many if any questions yet. But that darned search function doesn't work worth all. It doesn't bring up what I'm looking for and I spend twice as long just going thru each section until I finally come across a post.

However, I do definitely agree that certain subjects are being posted like a beaten horse. Hope you can figure out a way to clean it up and make it easier for yourselves and those searching.

B

Bennayboi

I think there should be a beginners or "noob" section, with a quality caresheet sticky and directions on how to ask for help, like supplying a full description of the geckos husbandry and history. Even if they dont notice the sticky, members can link it to them. The caresheet on marcias website is probably the best on the internet, but its in pdf format so its not accessible to everyone.

MSMD

Lake Effect Leos
I think the caresheet(s) idea is a good one. I think it would be the quickest/easiest way for people to get the most accurate information. Otherwise, they may end up finding posts from people who mean well, but don't have the most accurate information themselves.....JMHO. :)

Spooki

caffeine zombie
i don't think it's so much not using the search function but getting frustrated with it. i initially used the search to try and find info but all the threads that came up at the top of the results were totally useless. when i thought my gecko might be too fat i tried searching for "fat", "too fat", "obese" and "obesity"... only the last term got me a useful thread and it was the second to last result. >:|

a place with care sheets would be nice. searching the web i found many contradicting care sheets and care sheets giving bad advice.

nats

i don't think it's so much not using the search function but getting frustrated with it. i initially used the search to try and find info but all the threads that came up at the top of the results were totally useless. when i thought my gecko might be too fat i tried searching for "fat", "too fat", "obese" and "obesity"... only the last term got me a useful thread and it was the second to last result. >:|

a place with care sheets would be nice. searching the web i found many contradicting care sheets and care sheets giving bad advice.

I have never been able to find anything I'm looking for in search.
It's just an exercise in frustration.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
two Cents worth by a searching fool.

I have never been able to find anything I'm looking for in search.
It's just an exercise in frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooki View Post

Since I ask very few questions and use the
search function often, but get many different answers (or guesses) that
I won't pass on to other forum members.
I tend to only pass on tested opinions by me.
And my curiosity about the gecko hobby
leads me to trying to make food, housing, furniture, and breeding
advancements to strengthen and assist the gecko in captivity.
The worst part of the search function is members are allowed to
make their own titles...Which I am also guilty of.
(catchy phrases to grab on to the reader but not simple for a match).....
IMO:
Certain ones should be standard titles
so they can be pulled up easily by a SEARCH MATCH........
A result being more use, better info, and less frustration........
"May the Great Gecko Forum Force Be A Factor In Finding Facts.".
Try to say this 10 times very quickly!!!

Take Care My Gecko Brother and Sisters.. HJ

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
SEARCH EXACT WORDING ????

The worst part of the search function is members are allowed to
make their own titles...Which I am also guilty of.
IMO:
Certain ones should be standard titles
so they can be pulled up easily by a SEARCH MATCH........
A result being more use, better info, and less frustration.......
[/B][/COLOR]

(Sorry, this was left out of comment.)
........and the search function does not seem to have a search for
....EXACT WORDING.
and appears to probably be matching on more than a title line.

KelliH

At some point we will have a front page that looks different than it does now and on that page will be links to all kinds of relevant inofrmation, including care sheets, breeder links by state, and much more. However I only have so much time in the day to devote to the redesign, so please be patient with me! I certainly have (and will continue to) take all of your suggestions in and ask for more of them when I am closer to completing the project. It's going to be awesome when completed!

Visit our friends