Gargoyle vs. Chahoua Gecko

wilsonlubeck

Recently i posted a thread about a leachie and chewie. I decided i liked chewies better, but stumbled across Gargoyles. I have done research on both and cant decide which one to get. Can you tell me what you think i should do and why i should choose either one?

Dron2124

Crested
do you want to spend 400+ or 60-200 gargoyles are a lot cheaper then chahouas. And you should get which gecko you like the look of better. If your still stuck do more research and see which ones attatuide you like. Go to Pangea.com and read threw the chahoua section and then the gargoyle stuff and you will get an idea of which you want.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
In reality gargs and chewies are both pretty easy carewise. Chewies obviously need more space and females need care when laying eggs. Gargs can have more color and chewies are a bit more active. Price is obviously very different. Personally I love both species. If this is your first rhac I would go with the garg. Chahoua are slightly less hardy. It all depends on what your experience level is and how much space you want to dedicate to an enclosure.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
I have both species also. The nice thing about both is that they are normally not was apt to jump and climb about like cresteds are, IMO far better for handling both species are. Both are large, a garg can easily get 60g-70g, so to say they are smaller...ehhh although true at some instances, gargs are still very havey bodied animals, they make cresteds seem micro when you consider a garg and a crested both at the same length, a garg weighs much more, they are like holding little rocks in your hands. There is a difference in size in the chewies, PI's tend to be a big smaller then the mainlands

Gargs do come in a variety of morphs and colors now, and can get pretty pricey also. A nice red will run you $250 or more, I have seen some outstanding kids go for $350 unsexed. An unsexed mainland chewie will run you $300-350 also, so if your plot was to go high end anyways, obviously the choice is yours. And chewies are coming in different colors, mainlands tend to be not as colorful as the PI's, but both can come in reds, greens, browns, greys, oranges and even pinks. My Torricelli is from a red and green line and at 12g its reds are finally starting to really pop out.

Also growth, both grow a bit slower. My chewie is growing faster then a crested, which they do at first and this is due to the fact chewies require more insects, but like the gargs they hit a peak and take forever to mature. For instance most chewies are not to breeding size until around 3 years of age.

Chewies also do well in pairs all year round, so if breeding is in your future that is a bonus to them, however gargs are pissy, they will fight, ALOT, even females dont normally get along, so if breeding is planned do consider housing every single garg seperately.

alliegex

I like both gargoyles and chewies (and leachies, for that matter). However, for financial reasons, of the three species, I have only one - a garg.

My first gecko was a crested. And, after keeping cresties for a while, I decided to branch out. I'd have loved a chewie or leachie, but I decided on a garg. And, I know I made the right decision. Before purchasing my gargoyle, I did a lot of research and heard conflicting information. For one, I was told that they were skittish and aggressive. And, while this may be true for some, it is certainly not true for all. I think that's important to remember - each animal is an individual. And, your decision should be based on what you can do financially, logistically, and emotionally. In short, it's a decision only you can make.

If you're just starting out, my obvious recommendation would be a garg. Chewies and leachies are more expensive, require larger housing, and are not as hardy as gargs. But, that being said, the difference between care of a gargoyle gecko and a chahoua is not much. So, in some respects, it is a matter of preference. I love my crested, but I think I enjoy my garg more. And, while I'd one day like to have a chewie or leachie, I think the gargoyle gecko was the right option for me...at this time. My garg is simple to care for and is a very easy keeper. It is still young, but is very easy to handle and seems not to mind human contact. And, as far as activity is concerned, it is very active and adept at climbing branches, bark, and plants. My crestie is more active overall, but is also a bit more difficult to handle. However, a crested is a good starter rhac as well. Both of my rhacs eat Repashy crested gecko diet and the occasional cricket. Their care is fairly straightforward and simple and I do enjoy watching them and handling them. And, there's no doubt that I appreciate their coloring. Speaking of color, that is one thing a chewie is lacking - gargs are much more colorful. But, again, that's just a matter of preference.

If I had to choose, I think I'd go garg hands down for the accessibility, low cost, and ease of care. But, everyone is different. Continue doing research, ask questions, and talk to breeders and other owners. And, ask yourself this: What are you looking for in your rhac? When you can answer that question honestly and have looked into your financial situation and the logistics of keeping a smaller or larger gecko, you should be able to make a decision with ease. Regardless of what you choose, good luck and keep us posted.

soccerdad

I only have a chewie and he is the most mellow gecko I have. I open his tank and he comes straight out to climb on me and chill... Money wasn't the desciding factor for me though as he was a special needs gecko and only cost me $50.... But his injury doesn't phase him what so ever ..... I would also like a garg but if money wasn't an issue I would readily take the chewies first

Dragoon

just look around and get the pretty one. look and one will just jump out at you and get that

Daedric1

just look around and get the pretty one. look and one will just jump out at you and get that

This is the worst way to buy a pet....lol.

Many a pet-store gecko has suffered the fate of impulse buyers.

Quite honestly if this is your first gecko, go with a cheaper, hardier, and most importantly, easier-to-care-for gecko. In all of these, a gargoyle is better. If you decide you like caring for the garg and you can afford another gecko, think about a chahoua then.

Best of luck.

Visit our friends