Feisty leopard gecko?

LeoGirl575

Just an update on this situation... I know I triple posted... Sorry. :( Well, she's still feisty as ever, and she hisses more regularly now. She also sometimes runs from me when I put my hands in the tank, and other times just sits there and watches me.

Come to think of it, all this feistiness started when I turned her sideways for a few seconds to check her gender (though that's still not confirmed yet, because it looks kind of like "she's" developing bulges....) a month and a half ago.

She's almost 5 months old now (maybe already 5 months old).
All of my friends who have young leopard geckos say there's are only calming down, not getting more feisty...

Is it possible that she will still calm down when she's an adult?

Thanks again! :)

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
The only other thing I can think of that would cause a reaction like that is pain. Any chance she might have injured herself in her tank, or while she was being handled?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I'm sure she will calm down eventually. Maybe not to the point of letting you hold her for a long time; but still I don't think she'll continue to hiss and runs away when she gets older.

Maybe this is irrelevant, but I find males to be generally more "human-friendly". Most of my females don't like being held, they usually want to get down very quickly. On the other hand, the males will almost always voluntarily walk up my hand, some will even let me flip them over while we have a tour around our house.

LeoGirl575

Thanks for the replies. :)

No, she didn't get hurt at all. :(
Actually, when I was looking at 'her' from the side yesterday, I saw what looked to be the development of the hemi-penal bulges... I'm not going to come to any conclusions yet though, as she's only 5 months old. I also don't want to flip her over again, because the last time I did that, that was when she started acting out when I held her. :(

Thanks again!

bigcat

an easy way to get he/ she on you hand is put a hand in front of the your leo and then tap gently on the back end of it mine usally get on my hand i have a male that dosnt like to be handled yet but i have only had him for about 3 weeks i know he is over 6 months old now

LeoGirl575

Thanks for the advice! :) I want to let her run around my room, because I can tell she really wants to run around and explore, but I don't know how to set up a safe place for her to explore in? There are tons of nooks and crannies in my whole house that she could escape into if she decided to start running.
Also, if I did let her explore, I'm scared that if I went to go pick her back up to put her in her tank, she'd start running away from me and hissing... :( Because I know she wouldn't like being cornered. Thanks.

bigcat

i wouldnt try to do that there is way to much stuff my leo can hid in under on top of. a bunch of other things i did have a gecko get out i fixed it by putting tubs under the cage. i have fixed it though i found out where she was getting out at :p. if you are good with tools or a bf or what ever you could allway make somthing. i dont know if those reptile leashes would work on a leo but you could allways try. oh your welcome :)

LeoGirl575

Thanks! :) I'll try something! Because once she was so desperate to get out that she climbed up my arm when I was doing cage maintenance! This is actually what I mean by "feistiness". I hope she calms as she gets older... :/

bigcat

lol one female was like that she is finaly calming down a little. i just thaght of somthing what about a hampster ball? it locks and you wouldnt have to corner it or any thing just pick it up

Geckoguy77

lol one female was like that she is finaly calming down a little. i just thaght of somthing what about a hampster ball? it locks and you wouldnt have to corner it or any thing just pick it up

Thats funny :D. Just the thought of a gecko cruising around in a hampster ball makes me laugh. Its not a bad idea (at least on paper) but a funny one to envision. As long as their toes and tail don't get caught in something, I don't see why its a horrible idea.

Will

LeoGirl575

Actually, I thought of that yesterday... But then I decided it wasn't a good idea! :main_laugh:

bigcat

lol why is that? yeah didnt think about the toes :/ i might try it some day i just have to get a hampster ball im thinking those ones that are clear or maybe blue lol

Visit our friends