Feeding Silkworms

staceyleigh

Anyone here use silkworms as feeders? I am thinking of getting some for my breeding females to help put weight back on between laying. Both my females have been gaining in between clutches, but not quite as much as I would like. I have heard that Silkworms are very nutritious as a feeder. I know they are pricey but that's ok if they will eat them. Has anyone fed them and did you geckos seem to like them?

Olympus

Biologist & Ecologist
Yes and yes, I do use them occasionally and everyone is a fan. They are very nutritious so they're a great feeder choice. Maybe start off with a small order of them just in case and see how they react to them.

Tongue Flicker

Hardcore Animal Lover
I do. The ones available here are larger since it is a cross between 2 types of silkworm moths but nutritious nevertheless. My boy can only eat one then it goes off feed for a full week. Quite practical if you're saving up roaches, crickets and superworms for other pets as well, like me.

indyana

Yep, my gecko loves silkworms, and they are very nutritious. Any variety you can provide should help stimulate their appetites.

I did have an issue with only feeding silkworms extensively in that my gecko started "peeing" out a large amount of liquid and his stools got a bit soft. It cleared up as soon as I mixed some crickets back into his diet though. I would guess it was too much soft food or over-hydration. :) I probably could have combated that by feeding the silkworms less often or preparing their food with less water. I haven't heard too many other people report this, but it's something to be aware of in case you see similar effects. :)

Visit our friends