Feeding advice for a new owner

ammr3b

By happenstance I acquired a 5 month old male leopard gecko recently. While I have experience herp keeping it has been with crested geckos and bearded dragons which are decidedly different. I’m trying to see what all I should be feeding my new charge. Currently he is getting 5-6 mealworms dusted with calcium+D3 each night as well as a few freeze dried crickets throughout the week. He also gets one wax worm every other day or so as a reward for handling.
Is this diet sufficient? There is some limitations to what I can feed. I myself have a phobia of cockroaches so can’t bring myself to pick those up from the store. His previous owner told me a bad experience with crickets has left the gecko afraid of live ones (he takes the freeze dried ones well from tongs). Does he need more variety? If so what do you suggest? Currently he is happy and healthy. Shedding, pooping, ect.

The lizards

That sounds like a good diet, are you also dusting food with multivamin? I sometimes feed my leos a waxworm every other feeding also, some people are against waxworms, but you just have to make sure you don't feed them too often as they are a fatty insect. You could also try and feed him dubia roaches. Maybe try to hold a cricket on a tong a little bit away from him for him to know it's coming, and then go closer to a normal feeding range. (Just a suggestion)

ammr3b

I haven’t been dusting with a multivitamin. I tried looking for one at my local pet store but only found the add to water types. I’ve yet to see him drink from a water bowl so I wasn’t sure how helpful that would be. Do you have one you recommend? Should I use it every night like I do the calcium+d3?

The lizards

I use rep - cal herptivite multivitamin, (it has a blue label, I get it from petco or petsmart.) For a baby 0 - 6 months 5 days of the week use calcium w/ d3, the other 2 multivitamin. For leos 6 - 12 months, every 3 feedings of calcium, use 1 of multivitamin. For example, 1st feed calcium, 2nd feed calcium, 3rd feed calcium, and the 4th vitamins. And then for leos 12+ months, the same thing. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Visit our friends