!!EMERGENCY!! I think my hatchling is dying!

T

texas_geckos

Hello everyone this is my first time I have ever had eggs hatch and I believe that my hatchling my be bound. It is 29 days old. It has been on a decline since its first shed. It is rarely eatting. I offer gutloaded pinhead cricket to her(incubated at 81)every night and i have 5 mealies in a dish all thie time for her. She eats one mealie every 5 to 6 days and she has never eatten a cricket. I have even tried pulling the legs off one side of them for her and she still never eats them. I have been keeping a rather good eye on her since she hatched weight wise and when she hatched she was 3.9g. Five days later she shed and I weighed her then. She was 4.1g. I have been weighing her ever five days and these are her these are her weight records.
Hatched 3.9
Day 5 1st shed 4.1
Day 10 never eatten yet 3.9g
Day 15 eat only mealie(day11) 3.4g
Day 20 one mealie( day 19) 3.1g
Day 25 has not eatting yet 2.8g
Tonight is day 29 and she last eat on day 27. Right now she is at 2.7g. Skinny has bearly ever relieved herself (4 small brown waterie spots on the news paper). Tonight I held her up to a light and you can see like a black mass in her midsection and there is nothing pass the black mass. If she is bound is there anything I can do for her or can someone may be help me save her if its something else. Would hate to lose any of my leos little alone my very first hatchling.:( Please help my someone

Thanks Kevin and Annette

brandy101010

Here ya go! Good luck I hope you can get her to pull through! Hopefully someone else will post some good advice for you.

"In a blender, combine:
1 small can Hill's A/D pet food (available at most vets)
1/4-1/3 cup Ensure (not chocolate)
1 jar baby food squash
1/4-1/3 cup Pedialite
2 tablets or contents of 2 capsules milk thistle (herbal supplement, liver purifier, found at most drug stores.)
1/2 tsp. each calcium powder and herp vitamin powder
1 large handful of mealworms, added slowly while mixture is blending

Puree all ingredients until completely smooth, and pour into ice cube tray(s) and freeze. Store cubes in zip-lock bag in the freezer until ready to use, then thaw out 1 cube at a time and store in fridge for 2-3 days. I use the empty baby food jar for this purpose, washing it thoroughly after each batch.

Using this mixture, draw a full dropper (eye dropper type) and place a drop on the gecko's nose. It will lick it off, and as it does, slowly squeeze out a little at a time. Most geckos love this food, and will lap it up."

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Try giving her a warm water soak, this will help her to pass what is lodged in her stomach. Fill a Critter Keeper about 3/4 inch with warm water and soak her for about 30 minutes.

What type of substrate do you have her one? And what are the temps in your tank?

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
She may have been born with a congenital defect in the intestines. It may be too narrow in a spot, or something similar. If that's the case, there may be nothing you can do.

Don't give up on her. Try the slurry - that stuff works miracles.

One of my hatchlings had a fairly similar problem. He would eat a bit more, but not much...maybe 2 or 3 worms a day at most. In the first month of his life he had gained less than 3g. At first I thought he was a slow grower, but it wasn't long before I saw he has MBD. I've been giving him calcium treatments ever since, and his appetite has picked up. He's still small for his age, but doing MUCH better. I know now that he was likely born with metabolic problems and I have to keep a close eye on him to be sure his health doesn't slip again.

Good luck with your little one!

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I'm sorry to hear your little one is having problems! Yes, I would try the slurry ASAP... give just a little at a time. The large black mass you are seeing could very well be the liver. When these guys are anorexic, their livers get clogged up with fatty lipids causing it to swell up.

In the meantime before you get all the ingredients together for the slurry, just give a little bit of baby food squash. Put a drop on the baby's nose, and let it lick it off. Squash is not a staple, but it is an excellent source of carbs and tends to stay in the GI system a little longer so it can be absorbed.

Good luck, and please keep us posted!

T

texas_geckos

she is not doing very good she has lost her tail. And does nothing when i attemp to feed her that slurry stuff . I have tried the warm bath three times and no bowel movement at all. last night when i tried to feed her she barely picked her head up. She is really slow moving this morning. I am not sure she is going to make it through the day. Am still working hard to get her to eat.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
You should call your vet right away, they will probably let you bring her in right away since it is an emergency now.

Kimjorg

if she is impacted or is having digestion problems you could also try to give her jsut a few droplets of mineral oil jsut to help her pass some stools

G

geckolover2006

good luck, maybe you can force her mouth open and put a tiny drop of the slurry on her tounge to get her to like it? then see if she will eat any more willingly.

R

Reptileking$

geckolover2006 said:
good luck, maybe you can force her mouth open and put a tiny drop of the slurry on her tounge to get her to like it? then see if she will eat any more willingly.

Would definatly not force her mouth open you have to know how and for a baby it would be easier to break it's jaw. Good luck.

L

LadyGecko

If you can put a small drop on it's nose-they is a good chance that he/she will lick it off
I have found that once they discover that they like the taste of it-they will lick it directly from the syringe/eye dropper
good luck
Sandy

Visit our friends