Crested gecko needs vs. leopard gecko needs

hilltowner

Hi, We've had leopard geckos in the past and are looking to get a crested gecko. Do crested need a uth? Do they need uvb? substrate? max/min temp? can I use Repashy Calcium plus with them?

Sorry so many questions, but still digging for info. on cresteds.

Thanks!

Marla

EverEvolvingExotics

There are tons of care sheets available. I'll just leave these here...

http://www.jbscresties.com/basiccare.html
and
http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crested-gecko-care-sheet-en.html

IMG_8429.jpg

Last edited:

hilltowner

Thanks! Awesome pic!

I guess my main question is are crested geckos have more precise needs than leopard geckos. We have a chameleon, but we're looking for something that is more easy to take care of for my younger daughter. Thanks!

Marla

Dimidiata

I vote crestie jmo. Bigger tank doesnt seem so bad when you dont have to feed live (honestly thats the deal breaker with me) then again they seem to be more tail drop prone, and it doesnt grow back.

EverEvolvingExotics

I have found crested geckos to be the easiest of every species I've cared for. One thing to keep in mind is the nightly misting. After the enclosure is setup it takes as much as misting 30-60 seconds of misting per night, mixing a weeks’ worth of crested gecko diet together to store in the fridge, every other night put some fresh CGD into a bottle cap, and a weekly cleaning, very easy. I also feed mine roaches because it makes them grow faster and watching them hunt is fun. I have almost 20 Rhacs, it takes me on average around 10 minutes a night to care for them all, but I take my time because I like to look at them all.

Leos aren't hard to care for either, but I personally find cresteds easier. It's all personal preference.

Regarding them dropping their tails, I find frog butts to be just as attractive as ones with full tails. I definitely think they look better than regenerated tails on leos or fatties. I've never had one loose its tail, but I bought two as frog butts. It’s actually kind of nice having tailless ones because you don't have to every worry about it dropping its tail.

Research around a bit, go to a reptile show or pet shop and handle a few. I'm sure after you handle some you will know whether you'd want one. I'm definitely glad I got into them!

Here's a few pictures of my frog butts, they are just as awesome as the others.
IMG_8540.jpg

IMG_7783.jpg

IMG_7770.jpg

pbgeckos

Panhandle Geckos
I haven't had my crested for long, but so far it seems to be the easiest to take care for of all reptiles I have ever had. No need for an UTH, but I do put a low wattage red bulb overhead because our house is still getting a little cool at nights. They do require a little more humidity. I mist mine twice a day. A local pet shop owner said that you "only need to feed them babyfood", but after doing a little more research I have decided to feed mine Repashy CGD and Dubia (he attacks them with a vengeance). It doesn't seem to mind being handled, but as an above poster mentioned, their tails do fall off and do not grow back.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
I have had a lot of species over the years, cresteds are not the easiest however I would never say they were a hard species by any means. Leos are a bit more forgiving in care as they do not require the humidity that cresteds do. Crested babies and juvies can dehydrate pretty quickly so unlike a leopard gecko if you were to forget to feed for a few days (say you were sick or something), or if you went away for the weekend and could not find a pet sitter, you are still fine no biggie. However cresteds will require daily misting, sometimes twice a day depending on your local requirements. And they need fresh CGD about every 2 days. But the bonus is that they can go without the bugs which makes getting a pet sitter a lot easier. You also can make their food a up a week ahead of time and store it in the fridge which makes feeding pretty easy.

As far as tails go, yes both can break them. In the many years I have been keeping cresteds, and as many as I have kept/produced over the years yes I have lost a couple, all of my breeders in which are tailless I bought them that way. If youre only keeping a single crested odds are low it will drop its tail. Sometimes if spooked badly they may, but honestly if kept alone, and you watch when you shut the doors odds are low of it dropping. My first crested still has his tail and he is going on 8 this year. Last year I had 2 kids drop their tail, and the previous I had 1 tail nip and 1 lost tail, which isnt too bad when you consider how many I keep.

As far as interacting goes, both are a lot of fun. My cresteds are qwarky and do silly things, however they could care less if I am in the room. The moment I walk into my room my leopards are sticking their heads out of their hides, and when I come over to their tank they are out to greet me. So leopards IMO are a bit more aware of what is going on, however they are not nearly as outgoing in "trying new things" like cresteds who in general seem to be a bit more fearless and sleep in the goofy positions.

Either way they will both take up about the same space, a single leo does fine in a 10 gallon, IMO a crested is better in at least a 15 gallon high which takes up the same amount of floor space as a 10 gallon does. Both make great pets you just need to take into consideration on your dedication to misting and pet sitting needs in the future.

garner63080

GarnerGeckos
I LOVE my Leos, but I have to admit that Crested are better for handling. They don't try to scurry as bad as the leopards. Also its really.fun having them crawl all over you with their little suction feet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
I honestly would have to say leopards have to be about the easiest care outside of snakes, nothing better than having a pet you just feed weekly lol.

Like I said I have kept many different species from beardies, uromastyx, 3 different cham species, boxies, ATB, then obviously what I keep now. I would have to say my chams and boxies were about the most difficult, not that box turtles are hard, they just have a lot of requirements people do not consider. But as far as beginners species it really all depends on how much time daily you want to invest, if little to no time a leopard gecko works, and all of mine have been easy to handle as babies, although they can be a little skittish when young. Cresteds and gargs would be the other choice to for a beginner, again a little more daily maintenance, baby cresteds can be skittish also as are baby gargs, however cresteds leap and it is easy to tell their direction, when gargs take off....THE TAKE OFF! they are fast little suckers. If you want higher maintenance but IMO best pet quality for handling, a beardie, babies require a lot of care and feeding, and not to mention they can get big, my girl is 22", so obviously if tank size is an issue these are not for everyone.

Another thing to consider are your average temps. Leos obviously can deal pretty well with warm temps, and the other obvious UTH to keep them warm. Cresteds, and like all rhac species require to be kept cooler. They can tolerate 65-78 pretty easily, however 68-75 really is best. Long term if the temps reach 80 for too long they can over heat and die. A single day spike usually isnt an issue, but when exposed for days at that temp, not the best outcomes tend to happen. So if you dont have AC, or the ability to keep them in a cool basement, ect, they may not be the best choice for you. If you have a window ac unit then obviously just switch their rooms in the warm months and explain to anyone who might object it is only for the super warm months, not a perm residence in that room lol.

But honestly leos, cresteds, gargs, chewies (they really are no harder to care for than a crested) and the cool thing about chewies, they are more laid back of the rhacs and more outgoing, although the more pricey cousin. These are honestly the best starter geckos, and as far as leos go, pretty inexpensive for certain morphs, however cresteds geckos prices can really range from around $25 for very plain to $200+ for babies. Gargs tend to start around $60 and can be $300+ for great babies....and well chewies start at $350 usually for mainlands, PI's usually $400 and those are just average prices the higher quality more colorful ones can cost you $500+ for babies which is why most people do not consider them as starters due to their price.

Myself....I would go with a crested. Dont get me wrong I love my leos, but cresteds are more eye appealing to me, almost anyone can find ones that they like, unlike leos I do have a few friends who simply cant get past their tails lol. But try going to some shows, or even pet stores and handle them, see how you like them. And when you decide which you like the best for handling, then go back to the shows or search online for a breeder who may have something you like :)

IslaReina

I have both a Leo and a crested gecko, although I've have my leo for a lot longer. My crested gecko is still a juvie, so he is still jumpy. In my experience, my leopard gecko is a lot easier to handle and a lot calmer even when she was a baby. I might say they would be easier for children because they can't jump away or climb higher than a child can reach. My crested gecko is jumpy and could easily get away if I'm not paying close attention! He does have a lot of personality and is fun to watch. The crested gecko seems a little bit easier to take care of for me because they don't need a heat source so the cage doesn't need to be plugged in anywhere, which makes them easy to move.

Basically, either one would be a great choice, it just depends on preference of looks! They are both unique and fun pets :) good luck!

Visit our friends