Chinese Water Dragon

Coretta

Hi!

Alright so I was looking on craiglist for some geckos but I saw someone was selling a chinese water dragon and its stuff for 25$. I know absolutely nothing about them except that they probaly need more than a 10 gallon to live in right?

I'll copy and past her add:

I just have too many pets currently, and cannot afford to keep them all, my poor chinese water dragon hasnt been getting enough attention and must get to a new home, as already he is having trouble opening one of his eyes, he will come with a heat lamp, a ultra violet lamp, and some crickets, i will also include some vitamin powder to put on the crickets. you will also get a 10 gallon tank to keep him in. will also come with a water bowl and an artificial climbing branch that suctions onto the side of the tank. any help is extremely appreciated. i am only asking a 25 dollar rehoming fee, which will go directly to keeping my other pets healthy, the price of everything included costs well over 100

I can come up with the money to pay for all the proper stuff I need. I'm wondering if I should get it since it's not being cared for... I always wanted one but I didn't do any research on their care.

So my questions are; Should I buy it? How much will it cost to get the right stuff? And is there any awesome sites about these guys that can teach me about there care?

I'll keep looking to I just want to hear your feedback :D

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Should I buy it?

No. If you want one, buy a healthy one from a quality source. They'll appreciate your business and you won't be giving money to the person who neglected this one.

How much will it cost to get the right stuff?

Prices can vary but they aren't cheap. Moderately sized lizard that requires diurnal UV lighting, ideally both horizontal and vertical temperature gradients, fairly heavy cover to see the behaviors associated with a healthy and secure animal, adequate humidity and water features and uses an opaque building material to prevent rubbing and self injury.

If you're making one yourself... probably about $150-250 at a bare minimum, depending on local prices. If you're buying pre-constructed materials and just assembling them, easily over $500 for a good setup.

The lizard is inexpensive. They retail for about twenty dollars or less if you just want the animal. It's what's required to maintain it for it's entire life in good health that gets up there.

latshki

Breeder in the making
this guy will need a minimum of 4x4x2 but a 6x6x3 (lxhxw) is betteras they are prone to nose rub and are arboreal
I love them as they are so pretty and a nice size but they are hard to take care of properly and need as much space as possible

Coretta

Alright, thanks guys, Im not going to get it... I'm a teenager and I don't have a job currently so I count afford it unless I took out a loan with my mom :/ But I hope someone else adopts it with the proper care!

Visit our friends