502 Bad Gateway

Shera

I'm getting this message when I try to open about 50% of new threads. I just posted a new thread and I can't even open it. Is it just me or is anyone else having this problem? Do I have to re submit the thread?

Jim O

Are you still seeing these errors? I was adjusting some PHP settings this morning and had to stop and start the processes several times so that would account for the errors. If you are still seeing the errors I need to know.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Jim O

BTW, it should be independent of browser. A 502 status code means the upstream server for the webserver (in this case PHP is the upstream server) is down. That's a server issue, not a browser issue. See http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html for more than you'll ever want to know about HTTP status codes.

The site's unresponsiveness in the last hour or so is unrelated. Evidently there are some network issues at the datacenter such that I couldn't even reach their main website. They're extremely reliable so hopefully this is a minor glitch.

Jim O

have you purged your cache?

These pages are cached on client side.

Yes, I'm still getting the errors on firefox, and am having to use IE.

It is browser independent. Please read my post above. The fact that you didn't get them with IE is strictly a coincidence. This is a server side issue. You got exactly two such errors six minutes apart, one at 18:00:27 and one 18:06:37 EST (that's why we keep server logs). There have been 26 502's since midnight out of 371,595 pages requested on this site, or ~0.007% of page requests. But even that is too many.

I am going to increase the number of available PHP processes. If you see any 502's in the next couple of minutes it will be while I restart.

KelliH

Here is the message I got from Jim regarding this issue-

Looking through the logs all of the 502's (there were a total of 11 in
the 24 hours just ended (out of 864,207 requests), all from your domain,
and all from 3 IP's, so presumably 3 users. They are all due to headers
being sent that are too large. I had allocated more memory for such
headers but I am guessing these people just have a huge amount of stored
cookies from your site in their browsers. Can you ask anyone who
experiences these errors to clear their browser's cookies for
geckoforums.net and for www.geckoforums.net. I am hoping that will clear
the issue but I'll keep following it.

Visit our friends