I know this isn't normal...

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Today my Mack Pastel het yadda yadda yadda hit 58 grams and she'll only be 4 months old next week! Her Mack Snow het yadda yadda yadda clutch mate is also pretty big weighing in at 52 grams. Neither of them are obese at all. They look like full grown adults. The big kicker is they can't be Giants. Dad is only 73 grams at 13 months old and mom is 61 grams at almost 2 years old. The other six babies from this pair are each about 10 grams under pace from the first two.

Anybody else have results like this from non-giant parents?

By the way, they're het Blizzard 50% het Bell. I'm just tired of typing it all the time. :D

Jeff876533

Jeffrayy
wow at one month old??? thats crazyyy! lol ive got a normal i got at a petshop for $0 and hes around almost 2 months old, and nowhere close to that sizeee

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Jeff876533 said:
wow at one month old??? thats crazyyy! lol ive got a normal i got at a petshop for $0 and hes around almost 2 months old, and nowhere close to that sizeee

One month old? About four actually...

EDIT: I see now. You saw one month old in my second post. I was referring to the pics.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
It's certainly on the high end of things, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of that sort of gain before from non-giants. I've had a few hit 45g at 4 months. What have you been feeding them (including gutload)?

They look great BTW!

P

pawsfoot

I hate to jump in on your post, but I was wondering the same thing. I got 3 high yellows about 3 months ago and when I got them they were just tiny babies. Now I estimate that they are around six months since the breeder said they were 3 months when he sent them to me. My one female and my male are huge. Not really, more like 55 grams female and 45 gram male, but my other female is only 35 grams. Just wondering why this happens. They all get fed the same amount and everything is gutloaded the same.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I think it's evolution in process. Better feed and better care throughout generations create naturally larger geckos (not from a single gene). When you look at humans, we are MUCH bigger as a whole now then humans from say 2000 years ago.

You have to keep in mind that you can go through 20 generations of geckos in 20 years. To do the same in humans it would take 300 or more years.

Last edited:

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Grinning Geckos said:
It's certainly on the high end of things, but I'm pretty sure I've heard of that sort of gain before from non-giants. I've had a few hit 45g at 4 months. What have you been feeding them (including gutload)?

They look great BTW!

The female gets mealworms (won't eat supers) and the male has been on supers only for a few weeks now. They also get a few crickets once a week. All of my feeders are gutload with Cody's Pro Gutload.

Vicky don't worry about the intrusion. We all do it!

Some are just like that. I have females that were 30 grams each when I got them in March; now one is 70+ grams and the other is only 49 grams.

EDIT: Missed your compliment the first time around... Thanks a lot Shanti!

Last edited:

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
NP Michael!

I did a bit of hunting and found the average height of western men had gone up 4" in the last 100 years alone. The Neatherlands are on the high end of the scale at an average height of 6' , while Vietnam is on the low end at 5' 5" currently. Makes you think! Store that bit of info for if you're ever on Jeopardy!

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
I just recently sold 4 hIgh yellows from my Mack Snow x SHTCT, they were almost the same size and age. They were about 4 to 4 1/2 months old and at least 40 grams

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
I sold my friend a little High Yellow that was born in april. I just went back to visit her and my friend a few weeks ago and she is already bigger than my adults. I can't say for sure the exact wieght, but she is definately above 60 grams and it wouldn't suprise me if she was heavier. I'll try to get an exact weight.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Jeanne said:
I just recently sold 4 hIgh yellows from my Mack Snow x SHTCT, they were almost the same size and age. They were about 4 to 4 1/2 months old and at least 40 grams

Nice!

o0 Ryan 0o

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that it is an evolution process. Also, think about the way many of us keep our geckos. They really can't do much other than eat, sleep, and poop. I know it's inevitable that they will do this, but most of us take great pride in caring for our reptiles. So seeing them bigger and happy faster doesn't seem abnormal to me.

We have a 4.25 month old at 44g, and a 3.25 at 34g. We also had two non giant geckos last year that were 50g by 4 months. Every gecko is different, but I do think with the way we keep/care for them and evolution, this is going to happen.

Visit our friends