mealie/super clarification

P

pawsfoot

I have 3 - 3 month old or 4 month old leos, they are not that big, probably at most 3-3.5 inches long. I do not have a little food scale but i am getting one soon so I can weigh them. Anyway, right now they are eating 30 mealworms a night easily. Every now and then they get a waxie treat. I feed them around 8p.m and by the time I wake up at 6a.m they are all gone. I want to feed supers and pheonix worms and silkworms and butterworms but Idon't know who to order them from and I don't know what size supers to get. I wentto the store and opened up a super container and I was truly frightened. Those critters could eat me and my lil geckos. Mind you these were full grown probably, but I don't want to buy something and think it's going to be small and it end up being that size. Any help would be appreciated.

P

pawsfoot

Oops

I would like to alter one thing on my previous post. I thought my lengths seemed off so I went and measured my leos accurately this time. My largest female is 6 inches and my largest male is 6 inches and my tiny female is 5.5 inches. Sorry. To clarify my questions too. What is the best size super to buy for them? Where is the best place to buy feeders from online? Thanks again.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Most places only sell supers in one size, full grown. You can email some suppliers and ask if they will sell them smaller.

P

pawsfoot

supers

Yea. I guess I realized that when I went on a search today online. I found all of 2 places online that sell them in a small size. Do you think Mealworms, Pheonix worms, Silkworms, some small Superworms, and occasionally butterworms and waxworms will be a big enough variety for my geckos? I used to feed crickets but then I moved my geckos to a new enclosure that was made out of wood and has ventilation holes that the crickets could escape from. That was not a pretty picture with the crickets escaping. So I was forced to feed only mealies and other worms that can't escape. I am deathly afraid of roaches so that's not going to happen either. :main_laugh:

BalloonzForU

Somthing cooler is if you tell them you are a breeder they give you wholesale prices. 500 is $12, 1k-4k is $18 per, 5k-9k is $17 per, 10k + is $16 per.

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
BalloonzForU said:
Somthing cooler is if you tell them you are a breeder they give you wholesale prices. 500 is $12, 1k-4k is $18 per, 5k-9k is $17 per, 10k + is $16 per.

I pay $20 shipped for 1000 :) at Komodo Reptiles

P

pawsfoot

I know people debate whether to feed crix or mealies as a staple. Can I feed half mealies and half supers as a staple and then throw in some pheonix, butter, silk, and every now and then some waxies? I hear that supers are very close in nurition to mealies. Can I contain supers in a bowl like I can my mealies or will they climb out and hide? Sorry for all the questions.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
My suggestion to you, would be go with giant mealworms or king mealworms. Different from superworms they are like the step inbetween supers and mealies. That way you don't have to order a certain size of supers from a certain place, and the giants shouldn't be too big for your leos.

www.reptilefood.com is where i get my mealies from. 1k is 10 bucks! Shipping is kinda a pain with them, but I really enjoy getting my bugs the next day. That way they are all alive (I haven't had hardly ANY die from reptilefoods, maybe like....5-10 out of 5k! ) and they are still plump from what they gutload them with! :)

Edit: what is also nice about the giants is like mealworms, you can put them in the fridge. Supers you can't do that. So you can store them longer so you are not ordering smaller amounts more often! :)

P

pawsfoot

I thought giants were on special hormones and werent recommended to feed to reptiles

Visit our friends