Any dog breeders out there?

gaparicio

Let's Go Bears!
Are any of you breeding dogs or know someone who is? If so, how hard is it in terms of the paperwork, vaccinations, etc.? I LOVE Victorian Bulldogs and would like to breed them. These dogs are different than English or American Bulldogs. They're in between in terms of looks and size. This would be something I would be VERY interested in doing.:D

marula

i'ma dog breeder...i breed australian shepherd and jack russell terrier (short legs) and i was working for a border collie kennel some years ago..
..but i'm from italy, so i don't know the price for a litter here...but i know for sure the time you need to have for take care about puppies!!! :D

gixxer3420

I have a male english bulldog soon I will be getting a female so I can breed them and have little bullies running around. i have a friend that breeds old english bulldogs, never heard of the bulldog your looking for? I know the english's are smaller, the americans are tall and the old english are short but huge not tall, all muscle.

gixxer3420

If your worried about health problems with bulldogs all you have to do is buy a bulldog froma good breeder and make sure that he/she has champion bloodline in him or her. I paid $2800 for my male and haven't had a problem at all. The problems usually come up beacuse of some breeder that bred his or her dogs and shouldn't have, sold them for $1000. I'm going to look at that site right now, thanks.

gixxer3420

They are the same thing as the old english bulldog, They go by both names for what i have heard. My friend breeds them, they are huge solid muscle. Great looking dogs, pretty much they look like an english bulldog all jacked up on steroids. Hmm you got me thinking of getting one of these types of bulldogs now. My buddy has been trying to get me to buy one from him. how much does that wensite sell their puppies for, have you looked into the price?

gaparicio

Let's Go Bears!
I've seen OEBD that don't look like Woody Bulls. But like you said, not very good bloodlines. Their puppies run $2500 and up. Some of those males look awesome! Talk about all MUSCLE! I always loved EB but they're not as muscular as I would like them to be. Woody bulls are. I read that OVB's don't need caesarian births like EB's do. That is another plus.

gaparicio

Let's Go Bears!
They do have similarities as far as looks. I know that. The size is different though. Old English Bulldogs are about 16+inches tall and weigh above 50lbs. They were developed by David Leavitt in the 70's and are recognized by the IOEBA, NKC and CKC.

Old Victorian Bulldogs are 17.5+inches tall and weigh above 70lbs. They were developed by Carlos Woods in the late 80's and are recognized by the VBA.

Again, I agree:) , they do look the same only more massive.

gixxer3420

Man you need to do some research on old english bullies. My friends male is 92 pounds and both is females are in the upper 70 pound range. My english bulldog is 68 pounds.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
Let's play nice guys! :) Beautiful bullys! I love them as well! I could never dedicate enough time to dog breeding however...I'm sure your local kennel club could help you get started maybe?

gaparicio

Let's Go Bears!
I have done research. That's the reason why I prefer OVB. Nothing wrong with that. I guess we all just have different opinions. No need to be harsh. There is a difference between AKC regulation and having a BIG dog. You can have a chihuahua weighing 7 pounds but that is not a true standard chihuahua. That's ok though. I like Woody Bulls.;)

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
I bred Rotties for a few years and went around the show circuit.

The paperwork was easy for AKC registration. Both parents need to be registered and you just get an app for the litter and send it in to get the blue sheet (if they are still blue) then that goes to the buyer with the pup for them to send in or you can register all the pups in your name then do a transfer, thats what I did so that the original registration was in my name and I chose the pups names tomatch my kennel name.

Shots, easy, I did them myself except for the rabies.

Tails and due claws were $10 a pup (at the time) and easy to care for after it was all done.

The only problem I had was placing puppies in homes I felt good about, I never thought anyone was good enough so I wound up only selling 1 puppy out of 3 litters, gave away a couple to close friends and sent the rest to my now ex mother in law for her to place because I could not deal with the pressure of pickign the perfect homes.

Breeding, paperwork, shots etc are the easy part IMO, its the rest that is hard.

gixxer3420

I wasn't being harsh, thats just how you read it. My bull dog is akc registered and its simple to do just paper work that has to be filled out. I just did a few hours of research on the bulldog you want and the old english.

gaparicio

Let's Go Bears!
I guess all in all, dog breeding can just be very tedious work but it can be done. I'll be looking into it soon.:D

P

pawsfoot

I breed Australian Cattle Dogs and I am about ready to breed my Cairn male to a bitch I'm having shipped in from Kansas. I agree with the other post about how easy the paperwork is. As long as both sire and dam are registered with the same organization you will have no problem getting an application for the puppies. I mean if you have 2 AKC or 2 UKC you are good. I hear it is a little harder if you have a AKC and a UKC. Never had that problem. Anyway, time is not really a huge issue until the puppies are there. You can either breed normally with just putting the male and female together or you can do AI. Depending on your preference. You must realize though that it can be a very expensive endeavor to breed dogs, if you do it right. Xrays will be needed to count the puppies unless you want a surprise and maybe a possible problem if one gets stuck in the canal and you don't know about it. Ultrasounds are good to make sure they are all alive inside of mom. You don't want you mom dying becasue she has a bad pup inside her. Vaccinations can be ordered from several companies, such as Drs. Foster and Smith and can easily be given by you. Rabies however is a national law that it must be given by a vet. If you are a little weirded out by giving vaccines I would just use a vet though. You need to have a special place in your house that is sorta out of the way of people so you can place a whelping box there. I would do research online before you make any concrete decisions. There are plenty of breeders out there who are more than willing to help. Maybe one in your area, maybe not into the same breed as you, will let you watch her female whelp a litter. Being there first-hand is different than hearing about it or seeing it on tv. It truly is wonderful. Sorry for the long post, I have seen people get into things they couldn't handle financially or emotionally and only the dogs suffer. You have to be prepared financially for an emergency surgery or your dog could die. If you have any questions you are welcome to email me or PM me. I would be more than happy to give you any information you need. O by the way, VBD and OEBD are 2 different dogs and they are both wonderful animals.

marula

i think there are a simple way for understand if you whant really do this like a work...
i complitly agree with vicky...you need to spend A LOT of money if you whant to do a good work (examinations, shows, vaccinations, in some breed working-agility, herding,obedience)and a lot of care for litters (stimolation programs, isolation room,car-childrens-dogs socialization...etc).
you can try to contact a really good breeder of the breed you like and propose yourself for a co-ownership (the dog stay with you, you can take experinece in show or what do you prefer, but the owner is the breeder...generally there is a special contract to sign).you can have in this way the possibility to know better the world of your breed, to working with a good dog and probably to hold for you a puppies form her or his litter for start if you decided to do that.
i don't know nothing about your experience, but generally,if you whant to start this work,you need to have some genetic notions and some experience in work with dogs (handling, obedience,agility,bheaviour problems etc..)
i start my experience 12 years ago with my first border collie..i working with him with the most important dog's handler and bheaviourist around the world...after this (something like 3 years around courses, show and trial) i take my first female in co-ownership from one of the best kennel in europe...
now i breed australian shepherd and i have a lot of contacts around europe and i can sell well my puppies...
this is one way for start...a good way..

Last edited:

Visit our friends