Summer Reading Blows!

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
I am in excelerated English in school, thats all fine and nice but the part that blows is we have homework over the summer AKA "summer reading"! It pisses me off too, i mean i wouldn't mind if "WE" got to pick the books we read, but no... they make us read some crummy book that was written before most of our great great grandparents were even born!

This years "assigned book" is "The Scarlet Letter" and so far it really annoys me... We also have to read a second book as well, but its from a list of titles so we get "some" freedom.

Don't get me wrong, i am and avid reader an partake in many books over the summer vacation, but they are books of my choice and my favorable taste. But when we have to read books for a grade over the summer, when we are supposed to be rid of school, it really BLOWS!:furious3:

Last edited:
D

DontShootMe

I thought scarlet letter was a great book. The movie was great too. Yeah I get you on the summer reading but we all been there and just think you got like only 2-3 years left of it. Which really isn't that bad. Things will look up soon. You know what I always say even though I'm only 23 don't be in a rush to grow up. I know I was and I regret it I wish I was in HS still the "real world" so far is sucking for me.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Yep...you just don't know how cushy you have it right now. LOL One day you'll learn. If I remember correctly, the Scarlet Letter was not that big of a book, you should be able to breeze through it.

Wizardlizards

Fozzy Bear
LOL, man do you sound like me when I was in high school. I only wish I had read what I was supposed to when I had the time and the oppurtunity. I understand that you do not wish to bother with the "classsics", but imagine how snooty you can be when you get older. "Oh I read the Scarlet Letter, and my opinion is.......":main_yes:

GeckoStud

Fatty Fatty Boomballaty
Breezing through books is nothing unless the book is terrible and you can't get into it. It took me two months to read "Flowers for Algernon" which isn't a big book either. The day i finished it i started reading Alien vs Predator: Prey by steve perry and i finished it in two days. It was more than triple the size of Algernon.

And dont get me wrong i love high school and don't want to leave but i hate reading something i dont want to read... And yes i realize the real world can suck, my parents take a lot of crap and i realize how much life can be a bitch...(Also is not wishing you were still in highschool include having summer vacation?) I don't want to grow up fast, i want to enjoy my years as a teenager, but i dont enjoy summer reading...

Sorry if i confused you guys into thinking i hate school, because i don't LOL.
(well except algebra... that class can burn!)

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Wizardlizards said:
LOL, man do you sound like me when I was in high school. I only wish I had read what I was supposed to when I had the time and the oppurtunity. I understand that you do not wish to bother with the "classsics", but imagine how snooty you can be when you get older. "Oh I read the Scarlet Letter, and my opinion is.......":main_yes:

LOL....I read it, and the only comment I can make is that I BARELY remember it. Our class also took a field trip to see the movie....so I got a double dose of it and still hardly recall it.

Just enjoy high school life while you can. You don't realise how sucky the real world (out of school and on your own) is until you're in it. On the other hand, the real world has better ups too, you couldn't pay me enough to go back to my high school years! LOL.

S

Smiling Kitty

Ohhh I feel for you . . . . Nah I don't.

I bet you can't wait to grow up so you can do what you want.
I bet you can't wait to get a job where you work 8 hours a day and get 7-14 days off a year with a few holidays thrown in for good measure.

You won't get spring break off, you won't get Christmas week to new year's off, you won't get 3 months off in the summer. Heck you won't even get to do what you want to do all the time because you'll have a family and obligations.

To sum it up, enjoy the time you have now. This is the most free time you'll probably ever have in your life.

Karen

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Ha. In the old days you could just get the cliff notes and it would tell you everything about The Scarlet Letter in five minutes. Then you could go back to reading Mad Magazine.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I actually really liked The Scarlet Letter. I remember it being a little slow getting started, but when you get further in it's a good read. Well, I thought so at least.

Although, I can't say I'd necessarily be thrilled about having to read it over the summer, but I'd much rather read that again than some of the not-so-great books I read in school.

wilomn

No One of Consequence
Jedi Master Bruce said:
Ha. In the old days you could just get the cliff notes and it would tell you everything about The Scarlet Letter in five minutes. Then you could go back to reading Mad Magazine.
And wind up like whom, do you suppose?

Unlike brucie here, who thinks any cheating is JUST fine, you really should read the ENTIRE book. It's not bad and does have applications to everyday life.

Shortcuts just make you fat and weak and lazy and unfulfilled; prone to following those whom you mistakenly admire, be they scum of the earth or not, because, since you took the shortcuts and diminished your education, you are not intelligent enough to know right from wrong or just, and this applies SPECIFICALLY to the previous poster, becuase you're just too scared to do what is difficult even if it is the right thing to do.

While I do understand your concerns about forced reading, if you've got a good list, some of that antiquated stuff is really good.

dot

I remember having to read The Scarlet Letter back in senior year of high school ... god, that was six years ago. Unfortunately, I had like 3 weeks to read the whole thing, had to discuss the assigned chapters in class and then write a "reaction" paper for it. I wasn't a huge fan of the book, either. Hawthorne never really "did" it for me. Lucky for you, you have the summer to read it and actually try to enjoy it.

Personally, I only think Cliffs Notes are helpful after you've read the whole book, and only if you REALLY don't know what's going on, otherwise, they just make things more confusing. Also - it's bloody hilarious when you listen to someone who's only read Cliffs because it's obvious they have no idea what they're talking about.

And as for having to read The Scarlet Letter ... although I wasn't a fan of the book, (or To Kill a Mockingbird, for that matter), I'd much rather go back to reading any of my high school reading list books than some of the awful college books I've had to read. (The Master and Margerita, anyone? I'd never wish Russian Lit on my worst enemy ...)

What I found helps when I have to read a book I don't want to - (such as the multiple Theater History/Theory books now... oi vey) I always try to keep a "fun" book and read it concurrently, so when I get fed up with the "work" book, I can kick back and read the fun one for a bit.

Good luck!

Edit: Eye spel gud.

Last edited:
M

misanthorpe

No one has to twist my arm to get me to read. I might have a fiction and a nonfiction going at the same time.

Books are free knowledge. You get to benefit from the experiences of all the characters in the books without having to live their lives. No one gets that much time.

As far as "having" to read a book or "cutting" into summertime, well, I suppose it depends on what your goals are for life. Put in average effort and get an average life. If you want more, you have to perform above and beyond. That doesn't even take higher than average intelligence, just conviction, drive and persistence.

Wizardlizards

Fozzy Bear
misanthorpe said:
Put in average effort and get an average life. If you want more, you have to perform above and beyond. That doesn't even take higher than average intelligence, just conviction, drive and persistence.

Very good advice, maybe thats why I am so average huh:main_rolleyes:

The NY Gecko

Don't Get So Carried Away
GeckoStud said:
Breezing through books is nothing unless the book is terrible and you can't get into it. It took me two months to read "Flowers for Algernon" which isn't a big book either. The day i finished it i started reading Alien vs Predator: Prey by steve perry and i finished it in two days. It was more than triple the size of Algernon.

And dont get me wrong i love high school and don't want to leave but i hate reading something i dont want to read... And yes i realize the real world can suck, my parents take a lot of crap and i realize how much life can be a bitch...(Also is not wishing you were still in highschool include having summer vacation?) I don't want to grow up fast, i want to enjoy my years as a teenager, but i dont enjoy summer reading...

Sorry if i confused you guys into thinking i hate school, because i don't LOL.
(well except algebra... that class can burn!)
I read flowers, it blowed big big time.

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Just so you all know. Wes Pollock/Wilomn has been stalking me for a long time in these forums and is a real potty mouth slime, a liar, and a fool. He is excellent at deceiving people on the internet as to his true nature. He is just a squat little guy who grew a beard because he has no chin and wears a cap from which his stringy, long hair hangs out to cover his bald spot. He actually looks like some kind of rodent and is still the only person ever permanently banned from Fauna. Beware of Wilomn/Wes Pollock. Young people should not try to be like this person. You will turn out badly like him and you will probably end up in prison. This is all just my humble opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

wilomn

No One of Consequence
Jedi Master Bruce said:
Just so you all know. Wes Pollock/Wilomn has been stalking me for a long time in these forums and is a real potty mouth slime, a liar, and a fool. He is excellent at deceiving people on the internet as to his true nature. He is just a squat little guy who grew a beard because he has no chin and wears a cap from which his stringy, long hair hangs out to cover his bald spot. He actually looks like some kind of rodent and is still the only person ever permanently banned from Fauna. Beware of Wilomn/Wes Pollock. Young people should not try to be like this person. You will turn out badly like him and you will probably end up in prison. This is all just my humble opinion.
AHAHAHahahahahahAHAHAHAAHHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhHHAHAHAHHAhahahahahahAHAhahahAhahahAHAHAHahahaHAHahahahahaha

Ok brucie, whatever you say. Can you PROVE anything you say?

I CAN prove that YOU support smugglers. I CAN Prove that you LIE. I CAN prove that YOU are one of the biggest dimwits to ever touch finger to keyboard.

How come you don't post at TRR anymore brucie? HMMMMM???

As far as being like me, no, don't. It's tough to be me and I would NOT recommend it. Especially if, like the cowardly tattletale kissass brucie stephensen, you lack a spinal column.

brucie, don't get mad at ME. It was YOU who told ME you were MY friend, remember? YOU loved me until I TOLD YOU THAT YOU DID NOT MAKE THE CUT AND WOULD NEVER BE MY FRIEND. Remember that brucie? It was just before YOU changed your UNASKED for good guy rating, since we have NEVER done business together and never will, to a bad guy rating JUST BECAUSE I SPURNED YOUR ADVANCES.

You're a scumbag of the worst sort. You just don't like me saying so to all the folks you try to BUY friendship from.

No one likes you, they just like your money.

LeosForLess

Im doin summer school to get ahead and free up class time, 5 hours of the same class is the most boring thing imaginable. :rolleyes3:

Visit our friends