I was just thinking....

bubblez825

I was thinking and wondered; If you had an ovulating female, could you breed her with 2 or 3 different males, washing her in between, and get all the male DNA in the babies? Just a thought.....
Emily

Ccrashca069

I know cats mate to a few differant males. I don't know about you but alot of us like knowing the genetics of our geckos so if you could do that it would be like a leopard gecko mutt. Maybe thats a bad example lol.

Kellyr

I understand that response, so if you are breeding to sell to breeders it would not be very profitable since there is no evidence of genetics- but that sounds like a very very cool experiment.. you might create some uniquie looking geckos from.. maybe even a new morph! Although you wouldn't be able to tell people how you achieved those results (not exactly anyways.. lol) I think you should try it out and then tell us what happens.. :main_thumbsup: hey you could always sell them as awesome pets :main_yes:

S

StinaKSU

You would get babies with different fathers....but none of the babies would have genetics from multiple fathers (same with cats...or any litter bearing animals). Technically its possible for people to have babies with different fathers if they have twins/triplets/etc. Each baby is created by one egg and one sperm...so its only possible for one male to fertilize each egg. You won't get any wierd mixed genetics...you'll just get a bunch of babies that you won't be able to tell the father of unless you do a very specific breeding of say an albino female to an albino male and a non-albino, non-het male...in which case all the albino babies would be from the albino male, all the non-albinos would be from non-albino male.

Sorry that's pretty rambly.....does that make sense?

Ccrashca069

If the hatchling have alot of bright coloring, you could sell them as pet only. I have 3 leopards currently that are strickly Pet-only. I know the genetics on 2 of them but those ones belong to my wife and she told me hands off for breeding. A shame for me because they would produce some awesome Hi-Yellow lavendor hatchlings.

bubblez825

ok kinda confusing, but I think I get it. Basically, the breeding with different males wouldn't work? or only a certain percentage of chance? and how does having bright colors make a leo sellable for pet only?

S

StinaKSU

Let me try to rephrase.....

I'll try to make an example with breeding 2 different males to 1 female...lets say you have an albino male (not het for anything...can't produce patternless offspring), a patternless male (not het for anything, cannot produce albino offspring) and a patternless albino female...

If both males mate with the female she will be holding sperm from both males...but each of her eggs can only be fertilized by ONE of those sperm...so any individual egg could be fertilized by any individual sperm....so each egg stands a chance of being fertilized by one male OR the other....but NOT both.

Patternless albino offspring are impossible, b/c the eggs cannot be fertilized by sperm from both males. You would get patternless babies het for albino from the patternless male, and albino babies het for patternless from the albino male...no normals, no patternless albinos. In this hypothetical situation you would be able to determine which offspring is from which father b/c the fathers each carry a gene that will produce a vastly different effect in the offspring.

If you had 2 patternless males breeding with one patternless female you would have no way of knowing which father produced which offspring b/c there is no distinct gene separation between the males to distinguish which baby is from which father.

Kellyr

It has been known in humans... rarely two sperm do fertilize one egg... I dont know what the outcome would be in reptiles but on this site (http://www.webmd.com/content/article/4/1680_51511 )
it does say:
"Two sperm can fertilize one egg, with the loss of the mother's chromosomes" now ofcourse this pregnancy would not be fallible, but who knows how that would work in a cold blooded animal... there are def. risks for birth defects but that is always the case with incubation (i.e. temp fluxuation, egg positioning & etc)...

S

StinaKSU

While things like that can occur...it is EXTREMELY uncommon and most similar type occurances lead to preterm death or at least infertile and/or physically deformed individuals. Regardless of whether viable, fertile offspring are possible from such an occurance is basicaly irrelevant to the discussion anyway because the possibility of it occuring is so extraordinarily low. I didn't mention anything like that for that reason.

Kellyr

The question initially asked was not referring to the chances for the desired outcome being in good or bad favor (common or EXTREMELY rare) The question was if it AT ALL possible.... and it is therefor my response was relevant. It just PROBABLY wont happen.. but if its possible then the chance is there and it COULD happen. ;) People win the lottery everyday.. just not me or anyone I know.. it still happens....

Visit our friends