Mack Snow/Mack Snow Pastel?

BalloonzForU

I'm sure this is a stupid question. I've seen many Mack Snow Pastels and Mack Snows. How do you tell a Mack Snow Pastel from a Hypo.

How does one produce a Pastel? What do they look like as hatchlings?

I've also seen some Snows that look very very yellow, replacing that nice white for color as they age. How do you tell?

T

TripleMoonsExotic

I've heard people use the term "Mack Snow Pastel" for the normal siblings that come from Mack crosses. Personally, I think that's silly.

I've also seen "Mack Snows" that have an extreme amount of yellow that make them look more Normal then anything.

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
The only way I can see to tell the "Mack Pastels" apart from a normal high yellow is the way Alex described it, which basically was that the Pastel's head color is pale, like a snow, and not yellow, so there is a nice degree of contrast between the head and body color. The high yellows I have hatched or acquired had all have heads that are pretty much the same color as the body. The pictures that Jeane linked to on Alex's site show what he (Alex) was talking about. Take a look at the head color versus the body color. I have not hatched any Mack Pastels so I can only go by the pics on Alex's site and what I have seen at shows.

This is from Alex's Site:
"The "Mack Pastels" are visually stunning and unique in their own right. They have a yellowish/muted color in the foreground with what appears to be a snow background. The head, tail and patches along the back are white or gray/lavender in color unlike tangerines/high yellows or the likes which typically have a slightly lighter matching head coloration compared to the body, most tangerines/high yellows or the likes have hints of this coloration on the face whereas The "Mack Pastels" do not."

Last edited:

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
I just went and compared my High Yellow to one of his Mack Pastels, and yep, you can see the difference in the head coloration.

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
Jeanne said:
I just went and compared my High Yellow to one of his Mack Pastels, and yep, you can see the difference in the head coloration.

Boo Ya!.... LOL

I did the same thing using some old pics of my high yellows I sold a few months ago.

BalloonzForU

So she is a Mack Sib aka Pastel? Do all Mack Sibs end up being Pastels, or do you have to wait to find out. The reason I ask is that hatchling pic it looks like a little tang. Has anyone produces anything other than Pastels when breeding Pastel x Pastel?

eyelids

Bells Rule!
BalloonzForU said:
So she is a Mack Sib aka Pastel? Do all Mack Sibs end up being Pastels, or do you have to wait to find out. The reason I ask is that hatchling pic it looks like a little tang. Has anyone produces anything other than Pastels when breeding Pastel x Pastel?

Alex Hue say's on his Pastel Leopard Gecko page, "I believe this trait to be associated or for lack of better words...a "by product" of the Mack Snows or at the very least a trait that originated from the Mack bloodlines." In my opinion it's the latter. I've never seen another gecko match the criteria for being a Mack Pastel other than mine and ones on Alex Hue's site. However, I have seen lots of Mack Snow "sibs" and most of the time they're nothing special.

Therefore, not all Mack sibs end up being Pastels...

I'm not trying to sound like an expert guys. This is based on my observations... ;) :main_yes:

EDIT: Here's a closer shot of her true color as a hatchling...

View attachment 1573

Not very Tang at all.

Last edited:

eyelids

Bells Rule!
BalloonzForU said:
Has anyone produces anything other than Pastels when breeding Pastel x Pastel?

I'm not sure if it was Pastel x Pastel, but look at the pic on the bottom the Pastel Leopard Gecko page I linked to.

Visit our friends