Just finished building a rack.

gixxer3420

Well i had two racks ordered that was going to cost me just under $400, not to bad of a price. So today I was looking around in the shed and noticed some extra material, so i said waht the heck i'll give it a try. So i did it, its finished and i'm happy with it. i canceled my order on the two rack sI had coming, thankfully they didn't start making my order so it wasn't a big deal. Now all I have to do is order some heat tape for the back and a thermostat and i will be golden. Mine if I like this rack concept i will be making more, so i can order more geckos. I already love that it saves a lot of space. The one I made holds five 27 liter sweater boxes, I'monly going to use 4 and the bottom shelf for supplies, I just won't run the heat tape down that far. I'll post picks once I have it up and running, which will hopefully be within the week, how ever long it takes for my heat tape to get here?

Anyone know a good place to buy it? Heat tape, flex watt that is?

T

THEWIZARD

COULD YOU PLEASE POST A PIC OF YOUR HOME MADE RACK BECAUSE I'M CONSIDERING BUILDING ONE AS WELL THANKS

gixxer3420

I think its going to work out great. mines more sturdy than the two i had on order. the only thing I have to buy is the sweater boxes and heat tape. I can't wait until its all up and running. I'm already thinking of buying more supplies and building another one.

T

THEWIZARD

YEAH I THINK IT'S A BRILL IDEA MAKING YOUR OWN RACKS, TANKS, INCUBATORS ETC U SAVE MONEY WHICH CAN BE EXCELLENT LOL AND U HAVE THE SATISFACTION THAT YOU HAVE BUILT SOMETHING FOR YOUR REPTILES THE WAY YOU WANT IT, I'M MAKING PLANS AT THE MOMENT TO BUILD AN INCUBATOR FROM A POLYSTIERENE BOX I HAVE A POST ON HERE OF PLANS I MADE I'M ALSO LOOKING TO MAKE A RACK LIKE YOURS TO SAVE MONEY THE RACKS CAN BE EXPENSIVE FOR WHAT THEY ARE ANYWAYS HOPE IT ALL GOES TO PLAN I'M SURE IT WILL AND U GET THAT SATIFACTION THAT YOU CAN SAY I MADE THAT FOR MY REPTILES AND TAYLOR IT TO YOUR SPECS GOOD LUCK GIXXER3420:main_thumbsup: :main_thumbsup: :main_thumbsup:

gixxer3420

Thanks man. i just got back from walmart. I now have all the sweater boxes that I need. Now I just have to wait for my heat tape to come in the mail.

L

LadyGecko

Can you post a pic please of the rack itself?
I am getting my sweater boxes and have my heat source
I just would likie to get some ideas on homemade racks
Mine has to be sturdy and cat proof

Thanks
Sandy

gixxer3420

I will post pics once I get the heat tape on and its up and running.

One question I do have is do you just put the tape on the out side back panel or the inside back panel?

gixxer3420

I'm going with the back heat. My buddy has a rack just like mine well his is actually larger and the lowest temp he has in his rack is the bottm slot and its 88 degrees. So I think I'm going to stick with the back heat.

BalloonzForU

If the rack is for leos, you need to use belly heat in order for them to digest food properly. The floor temp should be about 90 degrees not the air temps.

gixxer3420

Well i have the back heat all hooked up and the lowest temp I have in my rack is 95 degrees and thats the bottom rack. I'm going to let it run a couple more days to see if the temps vary at all.

L

LadyGecko

BalloonzForU
"If the rack is for Leos, you need to use belly heat in order for them to digest food properly. The floor temp should be about 90 degrees not the air temps "

I totally agree and I am not trying to be rude by asking again

Is that the air temp or the temp on the bottom of the tub?
95 air temp is too hot for Leos
If it is the air temp then it will not be OK-and you will have no heat gradient to speak of and your Leos will overheat-please do monitor the heat as if the bottom is at 95-you might be pushing 100 in the top tubs

If that is the temp on the floor of the tubs you still might want to keep an eye on how hot it does get
Good Luck with it- I can't wait to put mine together
:D
Sandy

eyelids

Bells Rule!
gixxer3420 said:
I think its going to work out great. mines more sturdy than the two i had on order. the only thing I have to buy is the sweater boxes and heat tape. I can't wait until its all up and running. I'm already thinking of buying more supplies and building another one.

I got my shoebox rack from NSR yesterday and although it's only 1/4 inch material this thing is a little tank.

T

Tainted Glory

420Geckos said:
I got my shoebox rack from NSR yesterday and although it's only 1/4 inch material this thing is a little tank.

What's NSR? I ordered a Boaphile but if I can find something else cheaper soon, I will cancel my order. This wait is rediculous.

B

Brian O

I know this may sound crazy but you could build your own. I use plywood but you could use particle board and it would cost a fraction of what you would pay. I can build three rows of racks with six slots for $170. Thats all material included, even the tubs.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Tainted Glory said:
What's NSR? I ordered a Boaphile but if I can find something else cheaper soon, I will cancel my order. This wait is rediculous.

http://www.nsreptiles.com/

They use back heat though and I heard it's ok for a shoebox rack, but not sufficent for a sweater box rack if you're keeping leos. I ordered my shoebox rack last Thursday and got the shipping notice this Thursday. I emailed Casey back to see the estimated arrival and he said I'll have it Monday. Too bad it came three days earlier than I expected... :main_laugh:

Visit our friends