New Gecko won't eat or poop.

S

SeanConnery

I just got a leo 4 days ago. He is 4.5 inches long, and I got him at a petstore. The clerk said that he was a baby and should be eating a lot. He has not eaten or pooped since I got him. Things have been very stressful for him as I've had to rearrange the cage a couple of times and he was temporarily stuck in one of his hides. I have tried to feed him live crickets every day. He also sleeps a lot. He doesn't appear to be sick, but he does just hang out in his hide a lot, instead of running around.

Is it possible that he's just super stressed and will be fine in a little while after he gets used to me and the new enviornment, or should I call the vet pronto?

Also, I only have an infared light for him. He has a heating pad as well, but does he need direct light? The light is off in my room all day and he is in a dark area. At night the light is on. Is the room light enough for him?

Is wikipedia correct in saying they need 3 hides? Would two (a moist warm + dry cool) suffice?

Arconna

Two will do fine. After 4 days don't worry too much. If he doens't eat after say 7, get him to a vet ASAP. But you should make an appt. ahead of time anyway to get him checked and get a fecal done to rule out parasites.
Have you tried some meal worms? Try a few of those and see how that works. You also should just really leave it alone for a while. No more moving stuff around or anything like that. It's stressful and the poor thing is still trying to get used to its new surroundings.
So, after 4 days, don't stress. I got 4 new leo's not too long ago and didn't feed them for 4 days on purpose to allow them to acclimate to the new surroundings. Just give her a little time. But do make an appt. with the vet just to get her health checked. Don't wait for her to start looking bad or anything bad to start showing up.
Also, you don't need the light. Doesn't do them a bit of good. The heating pad should be fine enough. Make sure that your temps on one side of the cage around around low 90's and the other side a lot cooler. The heat pad should do this pretty easy. Get a tempgun to check this stuff because having those strips doesn't give you temps inside of hides and such. Anywho, hope that helps.

Visit our friends