cotton towel in humid hide?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Any reason why we must use disposable medium inside humid hide boxes? I want to try small cotton towels, they can be washed and disinfected in the washing machine once every few days.

I am currently using coir, but they're making the tanks quite messy.

dragonflyreptiles

Resident PITA
I used to sew alot and I had hemp terry material that Iused for a long time a few years ago, it works well, stays wet well and is for sure easy to wash and disinfect. It just got to be a chore once I had tons of leos now that I have less I may go back to that.

Stitch

The reason you need to change out the humid hide medium is because of the moisture and warm temps can harbor bacteria and mold. I use moss wraped in a paper towel. I change it out every two weeks, mostly because I had a crix once lay eggs in the moss and had hundreds of little crix all over the tank.

N

nicolenadia

I reccomend moist vermiculite changed every week. I clean the tupperware in hot water and nolvsan when I change the vermiculite. Vermiculite is super cheap, very light weight and clean.

S

steve75

I use paper towels. The problem with using cloth material is claw snags and/or toes caught in loops (and possible loss of circulation). I've seen leos get hung up in towels outside cages, I'd never want them doing that unsupervised.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I have tried a lot of stuff in the past, paper towel, sphagnum moss, small pebbles, coir, and now cotton towel. I can't say which one is best, but the cotton towels seems to work fine at the moment. However, I did switch my females' humid hide medium back to coir now; just in case they want to lay some infertile eggs, and they'll need a place to dig. :)

Visit our friends