Neat Pics of Habitat Construction

Herpcam

I can't understand the text, but the pictures look pretty neat. They are using styrofoam with some sort of glue or paint with sand. I think I've seen some people on these forums using a similar method, so if anyone can fill us in on what exactly is going on here, I'd love to read it. Or, if you can understand the text and want to summarize, that'd be great, too.

http://koti.welho.com/jkoski3/terraario/gekkotausta2.html

R

rrhill

They are using what appears to be grout and putting sand on the grout for more texture. I have used this method. the grout needs to be sealed well. I have also found that the thicker the grout the more sturdy it is. So I used 2 - 3 layers of grout, letting each layer dry completely before adding the next layer. A lot of people are starting to use concrete, but that requires a sturdy support structure, it is also heavy. I like the styrofoam/grout because it stays pretty lightweight...depending on how large the piece. I have instructions with pics on this method on a free website I set up years ago.
www.freewebs.com/herptips/

dang typos!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

maximum

This site shows construction of a terrarium (albeit for amphibians and uses live plants). They chose black silicone to cover expanding spray foam. The black silicone is then covered with co-co bedding. How well do you think sand would adhere to this material??

I am pretty sure that the spray insulating foam is more sturdy than styrofoam. Anyone have any experience with this technique?

Thanks!

gko reptiles

A New Generation
Tremper's book shows the construction of the styro/mortar/grout types... I've never worked with the spray foam for this, but hey, if it can literally seal the ocean out of your house during a hurricane, I'm sure it'll be sturdy enough for a few leos!

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I'm not sure if it's the same stuff or not, but there's a spray foam called "Great Stuff" that sounds like what people are referring to with these projects. Anyway, it might me worth mentioning that this "Great Stuff" EXPANDS while it's curing, enough to force a door jamb out of alignment. That might be a problem if used in aquariums, as glass doesn't like being forced too much. ;)

M

maximum

Definitely something to take into consideration... Thanks!! :main_cool3:

R

rrhill

maximum said:
This site shows construction of a terrarium (albeit for amphibians and uses live plants). They chose black silicone to cover expanding spray foam. The black silicone is then covered with co-co bedding. How well do you think sand would adhere to this material??

I am pretty sure that the spray insulating foam is more sturdy than styrofoam. Anyone have any experience with this technique?

Thanks!

I have used this many times...look around the forum for pics of my work. It does expand but it will not cause any problems for the glass. It also shrinks at times, I think its due to temp fluctuations while it is setting.
Sand would adhere to the silicone...I think I would use brown silicone in that case (GE makes a couple of colors). However; having used both methods, I would recommend the grout/styrofoam method for leos. I'll see if I can dig up & post some old pics of the grout/styro work.

M

maximum

ro, first off i wanna say how great your terrariums are. absolutely excellent! you should be very proud!

here is my plan:
-cut styrofoam to fit and to appropriate look.
-paint on grout (does this come in different colors?)
-apply sand on top of moist grout (mid-to-light color sand)
-then.... i need to seal the grout with some type of sealant?

i would think that a sealant would both provide waterproofing (easy to clean) and secure the sand so that it doesn't fall off when the leo crawls on it or scratches it. however, i don't want it to look shiny like this. are some grout sealants "mat-finish" and others more shiny? is it a generic type of sealant, or one specifically for grout?

i am shooting for more of something like this look. any idea what materials were used in the second picture???

Last edited by a moderator:
M

maximum

also, i have seen (online) some grout that does not need sealing (according to the maker), such as that here.

any thoughts? and sorry for so many questions!

R

rrhill

Max...wow lots of questions! lol

I do not know about the grout that doesn't need to be sealed, haven't used it. I use a grout sealer by Tile Lab, comes in a yellow bottle. It doesn't make the grout "shine". If you put sand on the grout while it is setting up that will work. Some people also throw on the sand when they brush on the grout sealer. Grout comes in LOTS of colors. Check out your local Home Depot or Lowe's. I usually get the big bag of the grey grout...it's the cheapest and I like the look. If you plan on the leos crawling on the "rock" make sure you use thick pieces of styro & several layers of grout to give it sturdiness. If you are using grout do not use "great stuff" foam. It doesn't stick well to great stuff unless you rough it up. I use large pieces of foam I get in sheets of 3/4" thick styrofoam at Lowe's. It comes in 16" x 48" sheets packed 6 or 7 to a package. Glue them together if you need to and carve them however you want them.
Also be careful about "cutting to fit" the styrofoam, cut it a little short because once you put grout on it that will make the piece larger/thicker.

M

maximum

thanks for all the tips and help, ro! it is much appreciated. i went to lowe's yesterday to get all of my supplies. i opted for sheets of insulating styrofoam instead of styrene. It was the right size and was cheaper. And it seemed a little more sturdy.

Anyhow, I am going to document my work. I'll put pics up under a new thread later today!

Visit our friends