Discoids as feeders

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Do geckos have taste buds?? Apparently, none of my geckos liked discoids! They go crazy for dubias, but once they get a discoid in their mouth, they stop eating and walk away...Maybe they don't like the smell that the discoids give off?

The discoids also move too fast for my geckos, there are many misses before they could catch one; maybe that discouraged them from eating more (ok, I admit I have some very lazy geckos here)...I'm just going to keep offering discoids and see what happens, if the situation doesn't improve soon, I think I'll get rid of my discoids colony. :(

Pro Geckos

professionalreptiles.com
Well, the different species probably all have a different taste as well as smell. I have several geckos that won’t touch orange heads but they’ll go for discoids or lobsters real easy. The best thing to do is keep offering them discoids and they may eventually take a liking to them.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Yep, I agree. Since I recently got enough discoids to feed off to everyone, I let everyone give them a try. 17 of 19 adults ate them the first time around, and those that ate them had no hesitation today. So far, all of my babies have eaten them too. Here's hoping my colony will breed fast enough to keep up - roaches make awesome feeders and I'd hate to have to cut them off again.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Geez, you're very lucky...my "keep offering discoids" tactic doesn't seem to work; up until now, only one gecko is willing to eat them, and I can't say he love them with the look on his face. And for the really stubborn ones, I just gave up the plan and offered dubias to them last night, so they have food in their stomach.

So, first round: Gothra vs her geckos >>>> geckos WIN!! (sigh)

Visit our friends