My leos.

G

geckoleo23

Hey all, I have 4 leos.

My first leo is Napolean, thought to be male, but was female. instead of Napoleon, it is Napole-ann

000_0615.jpg

she is also the oldest.

This is my second oldest, breeder, and largest. Her name is Mira, Miracle, because her egg was dropped when it was layed.

104_6972.jpg

This is my 3rd oldest. Lucky, I rescued him from a petstore where he was extremely ill, and was with a larger leo who beat him up.

when I got him ----->

103_6873.jpg

When he got better, and thru his first shed. this shed lasted one month, and the skin was grown ocer his eyes. I had to peal it off every day.

HIs tail is also a regenerated. it was bit off by the larger gecko.

this is him a few weeks ago, healthy and thriving.

104_7018.jpg

a bad shot of his tail
104_7020.jpg

I dont have pics of my newborn, it is still with the breeder.

*reguards*
Brandon:main_thumbsup:

G

geckoleo23

Thanks all! I am getting an albino and aleucitsic soon. hope to get a super hypo tang as well.

G

geckoleo23

well, the ones I am talking about are not blizzards, I do beleive there is some difference.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Leucistic is a misnomer in the leo world...a morph that doesn't exist. Usually it's used in place of "blizzard", but I've also seen it occasionally used in place of "patternless" morphs.

The reason I say it doesn't exist is that the term "leucistic" refers to an all white animal (no pigment what-so-ever) with normal eyes - occasionally black or blue, but never red like an albino. This clearly rules out patties because they are generally yellow to purplish and can have a carrot tail. It also rules out blizzards because very few are actually white - most are light to dark grey, and a lot of times the body will have yellow.

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
Grinning Geckos said:
Leucistic is a misnomer in the leo world...a morph that doesn't exist. Usually it's used in place of "blizzard", but I've also seen it occasionally used in place of "patternless" morphs.

The reason I say it doesn't exist is that the term "leucistic" refers to an all white animal (no pigment what-so-ever) with normal eyes - occasionally black or blue, but never red like an albino. This clearly rules out patties because they are generally yellow to purplish and can have a carrot tail. It also rules out blizzards because very few are actually white - most are light to dark grey, and a lot of times the body will have yellow.

Leucistic was originally used (albeit incorrectly) to describe the simple recessive Patternless. Although the use of the phrase is slowly decreasing, most people call a Blizzard a Blizzard, and I think the knowledge that they, like the Patternless, are not true leucistics minimized the use of the term when referring to them. So while I agree that the term Leucistic has been misused in both cases, I feel it important to point out that the term was not "usually" used in association with Blizzards as you suggested. Patternless were discovered even before the first Albino, and the term was used way back then. They weren't even called Patternless until people started realizing they weren't true Leucistics. Blizzards have only been around in collections for less than than 4 years.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Franks_Geckos said:
Leucistic was originally used (albeit incorrectly) to describe the simple recessive Patternless. Although the use of the phrase is slowly decreasing, most people call a Blizzard a Blizzard, and I think the knowledge that they, like the Patternless, are not true leucistics minimized the use of the term when referring to them. So while I agree that the term Leucistic has been misused in both cases, I feel it important to point out that the term was not "usually" used in association with Blizzards as you suggested. Patternless were discovered even before the first Albino, and the term was used way back then. They weren't even called Patternless until people started realizing they weren't true Leucistics. Blizzards have only been around in collections for less than than 4 years.

I wasn't involved in the leo world back then....I believe I was too busy having fun in Panama! While I'm sure that's where it all started, the majority of the time when I see it being used today it's in reference to a blizzard. (It really doesn't help when big breeders that should know better still use the term.)

Let the confusion resume!

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
Confusion is always running amok in the world of Leos.... lol:main_laugh:

I would like to travel to Panama.....haven't been there yet, but I may have the privelege of going back to India for a second time in August for work. If only I could snag a few wild specimens and bring em' back to strengthen up the gene pools. I was there 3 years ago, but the geckos I saw were not Leos, and a local guy I was working with had a Krait crawl into the handlebars of his motorcycle and almost got bit...... I did go to a local reptile zoo there and saw some huge cobras and burmese pythons.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Franks_Geckos said:

Didn't Prehistoric Pets first release them in 2000? It's also pretty funny that they still have an ad for that $10,000 giveway on blizzardlizard.com...

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
420Geckos said:
Didn't Prehistoric Pets first release them in 2000? It's also pretty funny that they still have an ad for that $10,000 giveway on blizzardlizard.com...

Yeah, but I don't think they were common in collections until 02 or so, but it is kind of funny in a bizarre way that the site hasn't been updated in 4 years.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Franks_Geckos said:
Yeah, but I don't think they were common in collections until 02 or so, but it is kind of funny in a bizarre way that the site hasn't been updated in 4 years.

That's understandable considering their price back then. Last time I checked they were still updating the available page. How about the artists rendering of a Blazing Blizzard?!

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
That was always funny. I used to tell myself that there will probably never be a Blazing Blizzard that looked like that "Artistic rendering", and to this day, I have not seen one with RED eyes.... reddish maybe, but not RED like a Raptor's eyes.

G

geckoleo23

ok, thanks for the explination! I think that it is a patternless then :)

Visit our friends