lost with line breeding a snow...??

Neill

Gecko Elements
So i was just thinking i want to line breed snows and get a really white one... Then i thought... "wait a min if i breed two snows together wont i just end up with a super snow"? So now i am kinda lost how ya get a really white snow with out getting Super snows???

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Line bred snows are not the same as mack snows. Line bred snow is polygenic and has been developed over years of selective breeding much like tangerine.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Even if you were "line breeding" Mack snows in order to get a high white snow, if you think about it, two snows would produce 25% non-snows, 25% super snows and 50% snows. Since Mack snows show different degrees of white, I guess you could line breed Mack snows for lighter color because the "line" breeding would be in the degree of white, not in the snow characteristic.

Aliza

Kotsay1414

You feed 'em we breed 'em
So i was just thinking i want to line breed snows and get a really white one... Then i thought... "wait a min if i breed two snows together wont i just end up with a super snow"? So now i am kinda lost how ya get a really white snow with out getting Super snows???

Echoing what the others have said, there are a few different types of snows:

Mack Snows
Gem Snows
TUG Snows
Line Bred Snows

If you go to Albey's website at Albey's Too Cool Reptiles, you can see they amazing work he's put in over the years to get Line Bred Snows.

Of the four different Snows listed above, all are genetic either Dominate or Co Dominate except for the Line Bred Snows.

Kotsay1414

so does line breeding make it produce different things?

Breeding a Line Bred Snow to a Line Bred Snow should produce more Line Bred Snows. When breeding a Line Bred Snow to a Mack Snow, there has been reports of Super Snows being hatched. The same goes for the other two Snow lines, Gem and TUG.

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
You could technically breed your whitest Mack Snow babies each year to continue making high-white Mack Snows, I think.. if you start out with whiter Mack Snows, you will get whiter Mack Snow babies.. of course, they vary in their degrees of yellow, but generally you really can't go wrong when breeding high-white Snows :)

Kotsay1414

You could technically breed your whitest Mack Snow babies each year to continue making high-white Mack Snows, I think.. if you start out with whiter Mack Snows, you will get whiter Mack Snow babies.. of course, they vary in their degrees of yellow, but generally you really can't go wrong when breeding high-white Snows :)

Correct. The thought behind line breeding is to breed the best to the best to get even better.

Visit our friends