Egg laying chamber

gixxer3420

My geckos seem to live in the egg laying chamber. Does this happen to any of you. I could put a humid box in there for them but i wouldn't want them to lay the eggs in it. Has this ever been aproblem for anyone? This 1.6 colony of geckos are the starngest I have owned, they are doing everything the opposite that my other geckos do and well I think they just like confusing me. Any ideas out there?

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I keep all of my leos over 20 grams by themselves. They each have one hide which doubles as the humid hide and females use it as a lay box as well. I use peat and mist every other day or so. Once you get your rack you'll probably want to use this method. However, the medium is your choice whether peat, sphagnum or paper towels it's up to you. Your breeding females will of course need something other than paper towels.

gixxer3420

In their cage i use paper towels as substrate but in their egg laying chamber i use peat. I guess the egg laying chamber can be used s both a humid hide and the egg laying chamber, correct? yeah my rack will be here in 2 weeks i hope.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Tainted Glory said:
Can you post pics of your humid hide/lay box?

This is the only one I could find. It's a little dry here and of course a lid goes on top. There's a hole about 2 1/2 inches in diameter on the top. They don't need to be so big for single geckos, but this guy loves to dig.

View attachment 1731

gixxer3420

I have one about the same mines a little larger and I have a hole on the side of the container instead of the top. I'm using a tupperwear container so its thicker plastic than the glad containers.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
Don't they kick out a lot of peat with the hole on the side? As soon as mine are big enough to climb the "mountain" they get new boxes with a hole on top. Maybe I just have messy geckos...

Stitch

My female lays her eggs in the cool end hide. Also I don't use anything other then torn up paper towels as the medium in the egg laying box. I have had bad experiences with moss so that's why I go this route. I know it's weird but it works for me. My warm hides double as humid hides. They get misted once a week or when I see they are getting ready to shed they get misted as needed. Just so you know I wrap moss in paper towels to keep the humid hide humid.

gixxer3420

No they don't kick out to much peat out of it. The chamber is longer than the one you have in the pic and my geckos always seem to go to the very back of the chamber to do their digging.

Visit our friends