Need some ideas for hides and water/food bowls...

Stitchex

I'm setting up a new shelf on the rack at home with my dad, and I'm just wondering what breeders use as cheap hides and food or water bowls. Would a lid work? I'm worried about it being too small for them to get it...? Also, I'm thinking of making some hides from an egg carton I have at home, it's styro foam. Are there any ideas for hides? I've used the search button, and I'm sure that there's a LOT of threads like this, I think I might have searched with wrong wording, sorry about this:eek:.

D

daleo

alot of people seem to use just plain empty containers like what cole slaw or patato salad would come in. or you could go to the cheapo store near you and get alot of glad wear bowls in the sizes you need.

dale

Barbel

For food and water dishes I use the water tray of terra cotta flower pots. If you go to hobby lobby they have really small ones that are about 2-3 inches in diameter and around $2 for a 6 pack. I like them because they are easy to clean, reusable and just the right size!
For hides, I would not do anything styrofoam because it tends to come apart easily. If they were going for a cricket and bit the styrofoam instead, I would think that they could bite a piece off and swallow it accidentally, which wouldn't be good!
Tupperware bowls make great little hides, especially humid hides. They are inexpensive and reusable also.

L

leonewbie

We love to use the crystal light containers (not the big containers, the little cups the crystal light powder is in) for calcium, they work really well and are small but not too small. Mealworms have a hard time crawling up the edges as well.

THE WHISPERER

I cut the bottom off of my crystal geyser water bottles and use them for water and food dishes. and for hides I use plastic containers that I get at the $1 store I usualy get 3 or 4 in a package. you can also use containers that your deli meats come in or like butter tubs.:D

Stitchex

Thanks all, I just remembered that I have some containers that I bought when we were moving(to transport the leos), I think they'll make some pretty good hides =). We have two good Dollar Stores around here also, I'll take a look at them. Thanks Dale, Barbel, Amanda, and Rick for the suggestions! Oh, and I PMed you the same question, Rick, before I looked at this thread, sorry!:main_lipsrsealed:

snowgyre

I also use cheap plastic condiment dishes for water bowls. You can buy them at Walmart in the kitchen section. The terra cotta water bowls is a wonderful idea! I don't think I'd use them for feeders since I think mealworms can crawl out of those, but for water that's a fantastic idea.

Stitchex

Thanks Vanessa, I got the enclosures done, everything's pretty much all complete, I just have to put the water in the dishes lol.

Visit our friends