When using Water Crystals do I still need to add Fruits/Veggies to my Gutload?

LizMarie

Hello,

Here I go with my 39,876,948,769 questions. This week I plan to order some stuff from Pro Geckos such as there gutload and some water crystals so I can start setting up my meal worm colony (i'm finally getting beetles!)

I've been using Oatmeal with Baby Carrots then I heard about Pro Geckos Gutload and thought I'd give it a try since my mom is tired of me stealing her oatmeal and carrots :p. Anyway I wanted to know that since I'll be using this gutload do i still need the carrots if I have the water crystals to supply water/moisture?

Also how long do those water crystals last once you set them up?

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
In all honesty Liz, stick with the oatmeal and carrots, it works just fine, and doesn't cost nearly as much as a formulated gut load. I know Pro Geckos gutload to be a good product, but if you're like me...you like to save money wherever you can (means buying more geckos in the long run lol jk).

You can go to Fred Meyers, or any other large chain grocery store and they usually have bulk bins of grains, etc. I buy tons of rolled oats at a time, and a bag of carrots, and it lasts forever.

I would fear that the water crystals would increase the humidity too much in the bin, and therefore lead to more of a possibility of mold growing, and completely wiping out the colony.

catvettech

Correct me if I am wrong here, but a diet of oats & carrots doesn't sound too nutritious. If using this as bedding/fluid, other types of "food items" should be thrown in there too.

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
I know of at least 5 other people that use oats and carrots for mealworms, and they are all healthy and fat. Of course I throw in other fruits and veggies occasionally too. My mealworms are all very healthy and plump. Some gutloads and beddings are just way too expensive, especially if you plan to breed them and have tons.
DSC03938.jpg

S

Snowy & Petra de Gecko

Mealworms

Mealworms will eat just about anything.

So you can feed them gutload but, that would get too expensive.

Or you can feed them Oatmeal or Cereal.

There are many different websites that have different feeding menus.

Choose the cheapest.

You can use a 7 or 12 Grain Cerceal if you do not want just one brand. Or you can use just Oatmeal.

I am trying some Bird Crumbles with Bran for breeding. The Bird Crumbles are for the mixed nutrional items like protein, etc, that is in it. (I am waiting for beetles.)

For a Gutload, I mix up a whole bunch of different stuff and I am still playing with it.

For Moisture, I like Potatoes, Apples and Carrots. Potatoes & Apples seem to turn moldy fairly fast. The Carrots last a long time (a couple of days).

I also put a paper towel on top and if I think about it I spray it every couple of days so that it is moist.

nats

My experience with using oatmeal as a beading is that it gets moldy
and funky pretty quick.
I use Flukers mixed with plain wheat germ and it tends to hold up well
and provides good nutrition.
Oh, and just stick with the carrots (or apples and potato) for your
moisture since it adds vitamins and minerals to their diet as well as
providing moisture.
I have heard folks say that you really do not need to ever give mealies
any moisture!? I know that's true when they are pupating, but when
they are in the larvae stage (the eating stage) I have always provided
moist veggies and/or fruit.

Has anyone ever just not given moist foods to them and they thrived?

Haligren

is behind you.
How is that Exo-Terra gutload? Has anyone used that for an extended period of time? I just started using it. (Not really starting a meal worm colony as I get free ones from work but I do put them in a container with bedding, food, veggies, etc. so that they're nice and healthy for my leo). So far, so good. But it is kinda expensive. For just a small pouch it's about $4.

B

Bennayboi

The whole idea behind gutload is to pass the nutrition to your gecko. Plain oats is fine for the mealworms, but is less nutritious to your gecko. Oats is a fine base if you add some other more nutritous goodies to it.

LizMarie

I think I should have dubbed this Post "Gutload" because that's what it's turning into..

Ok I understand that Oatmeal isn't enough thats why I was planning to get Pro Geckos Gutload.

If you have ideas on what I can add to the oatmeal to make it complete I'm open to ideas!

S

Snowy & Petra de Gecko

Add to Oatmeal

Add some bran for fun.

Also add some protein. (Some use dry dog or cat food.)

Also put the stuff (bran, dog or cat food, anything) in the oven, on a cookie sheet, spread out on the pan, at 350 for 20 minutes to kill any grain mites before you put it in your mealworm bedding.

Some people add calcium or bonemeal.

S

Snowy & Petra de Gecko

LizMarie's Gutload Mix

I use a similar Gutload mix.

However, for raising I use a different mix.

Julie Bergman, Gecko Ranch, has a raising mealworm info sheet on the internet and she has made some suggestions on it.

It is not the same one that is on her Gecko Ranch site.

Chicken Crumbles and Bran is the raising mixture.

Depending on the mealworms life cycle you could be looking at 8 weeks or more to get the mealworms to a large enough size to become good feeders.

nats

I'm too lazy and cheap to make it from scratch, so I just
buy it premixed :D it already has all the good stuff in it anyway.

eric

OREGON GECKO
I have been using oatmeal and carrots for my supers and they do great! I have not had any problems with this combo and I'm going on my eighth cycle.( egg worm,pupa,beetle,dead ) I honestly have no clue how many worms I have >10,000 (?). Why spend tons and tons of money on feeders-food when cheaper works! Now I have used the 10 grain cereal ( sold in your stores bulk cereal section ) I didn't see a difference. No decrease in worms cycle. Just my two cents worth, that I'm saving LOL!

Visit our friends