little lupe might have to go back

T

Trevor's Leo

Well, its been three weeks, little lupe only ate twice (5 mealies) and im getting worried. i was in the store the other day to get mealies and they said the other one is eating fine and gaining wait. so i am calling tomorrow and seeing if i can trade in my non eating one for the healthy guy.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Allthough I don't agree with your reasoning behind it, just swapping the animal because it won't eat, if its going to save a gecko then im all for it.
Don't take this offensively but it just seems a little immature that as soon as somethings not going right you want to swap it out for something else that might be working at the time (in this sence working = eating)

Mundy

What have you offered him to eat? Only Meal worms?
One of ours will not touch a meal worm. I think they don't move enough for him.
He will lick them and watch them all day but would not eat one. Went over a week without eating even one. So we bought crickets and he will eat 15to20 mediums and keep looking for more.
I would try other food before swapping him out.

RocksMama77

I always consider pet store leos to be rescues. Ignorant people think they are cute and then follow the instructions of the ignorant people at the store and end up killing them. Anyone who gets one that knows how to take care of them is a rescue. By sending him back, he will most likely die. Try different foods, check his temps, even change his scenery. You have a huge source of help here in the forum, use it. I have had eating problems with two of my girls. One wanted to be near humans and activity(I know crazy) and the other preferred to be fed mid day instead of at night. Just don't give up. Who is to say that the one at the store really is eating well or if it won't have the same issues. One should be committed as soon as they make that purchase.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
And, if Lupe simply isn't eating the way you'd like her to because she's not acclimated yet, then you could end up going through the exact same thing with the other gecko. I'd suggest sticking it out and examining your current husbandry.

J

Joseph_Riccilia

My new girl (and the only gecko I have) would not eat for me the first couple of days, but you just gotta be patient :) They can handle a little rebel phase because they are trying to figure out a new environment, food will be there when they need it :)

*edit*
And I do know that a few days is a far cry from three weeks, I would just recommend you stick it out. Are there any signs that it may be suffering from any sort of health issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Trevor's Leo

You guys are right. I feel horrible. I will try with this guy.

I have tried mealworms and crickets. he was scared of crickets. I will try raising his temps. I am just worried that he will like die from not eating. . .

Sorry :(

trevor

jess6905

Try wax worms or something also. I've got one who wont touch mealworms when given the choice unless hand fed them, but will go for crickets and wax worms. Hes only eats his wax worms when offered by hand though. Try hand feeding with forceps/tweezers/chopsticks to see if she will eat that way or the slurry mix as mentioned above.

T

Trevor's Leo

I have tried hand feeding. . . i am just gonna have to see if he will stat to eat again.

Visit our friends