Don't laugh at me, I got bitten...

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
on the mouth...

bite.jpg

This is my first time getting a real bite after keeping leos for 7 years...the most scary part is he will not let go! Ok, here is what happened:

I was playing with Bubu and he sat on my sleeve for some time. When I put him back, I saw Hardee climbing glass waiting to be held, so I picked him up. He climbed up my arm and then just sat there, didn't move. I thought he was picking up heat, so I put my head down try to give him a kiss. And without any sign, he turned around REAL quick and snapped.

If I was holding Marly or SiuFu, or anyone else, I'll be more careful. But Hardee is the sweetest boy, he's almost like a baby wanting to be held everytime I walk in the room; he is the last candidate that I think will do such a thing.

When he locked his jaws on my lip, I have one hand holding his body firmly; eventhough he didn't let go, I didn't feel too much pain. But after 5-6 minutes, he still showed no sign of letting go, so I have to try other methods. I let him stand on my other hand, and let go the hand that was holding him. A VERY BAD move!! As soon as I let go the hand, he did the crocodile death roll!! And he put a lot more force to the bite!

We kinda stayed in that situation for a few more minutes; he "refreshed" his bite several times (by opening his mouth slightly then bite down again even harder). I catched the moment, and pulled him off quickly. Not a good idea either, the pulling off caused a bigger wound than before...but anyway, I finally got him off my lip.

After some thinking, I understood what caused him to attack me. Hardee went to the part of my sleeve where Bubu had been sitting on. He probably picked up the smell of another male and got scared, therefore he didn't move (and I thought he's enjoying the heat on my arm...). When I put my head down, he probably thought I'm the male, and so launched at me.

He's back to his normal, babyish-self again shortly after I put him back to his tank. I even picked him up and he sat on my palm with the cute smile as usual.

LeapinLizards

It's a BEAUT Clark!
Oh my gosh Bonnie! Holy cow...and people say these animals would never bite...I know better after all these posts!

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
WOW!!! Bonnie, I had one of my geckos bite me in the exact same place (on the lip), and the exact same way! It was the night before we had a party, and all the make-up in the world did not cover that bite. I think Brittney even has a photo of my lip, and I got tied of telling eveyone the story when they asked what happened.

I also believe it was because I was handling another male right before I put Logan on my shoulder. He bit me while I tried to kiss him, too! NO MORE KISSING GECKOS!

S

Snowy & Petra de Gecko

Wow

And to have to wait until the Leo let go.:main_no:

And to have the Crocodile Death Roll too!:main_no:

Well at least the Leo did not think that you were trying to eat it.:D

And I assume that he did not lose his tail.:main_thumbsup:

P

Pepper

Ouch!!!

My crested bit me last night for the first time!
I think it was cause I accidentally grabbed his head when he crawled onto my back so I couldn't see what I was grabbing!

C

ccb geckos

Bonnie...OUCH! Hope that you feel better. The skin between my thumb and index finger feels your lips pain.:(

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Yea, it hurts...I had trouble eating last night, as I can't open my mouth very wide (can't stretch my lips, otherwise it'll start bleeding again...). As to kissing my geckos...I think I'll still do it, but not directly to their little mouths...

I should've titled this post, "A kiss for a bite...", lol.

L

Libby15

OMG! Put neosporin on it please!! :( Do you need stitches? You poor thing!

This did not help my apprehension in handling my gecko.

kyahbean

Puzzle is my 2nd love.
Oh my gosh!!! That looks painful! Note to self: If I ever get more geckos, wash hands in between handling them. I hope it heals up ok!

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Ouch, Bonnie! Keith always tells me that they don't like it when I kiss them. I think maybe I'll stop...just in case. LOL Hope your lip heals quickly!

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
OMG! Put neosporin on it please!! :( Do you need stitches? You poor thing!

This did not help my apprehension in handling my gecko.

No, luckly I don't need stitches. Don't be scared by this pic, geckos are usually VERY tame and sweet. Things like this seldom happen. Actually, I contributed to this situation, if I waited a little longer after I held the first male, I probably wouldn't get bitten.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Ouch, Bonnie! Keith always tells me that they don't like it when I kiss them. I think maybe I'll stop...just in case. LOL Hope your lip heals quickly!

Mel, just kiss their back or bum...;). Its lucky that it was Hardee that bit me; if it was Marly or SiuFu (the chunky masters), I'll probably need stitches...

fallen_angel

Fallen Angel's Geckos
Oh wow Bonnie, that does look pretty painful! I can't believe how the sweetest of geckos can instantly change, even for just one moment. Makes perfect sense about him smelling the other male and becoming aggressive though, I'm sure that's what it was. I'm so sorry about your lip, but I'm sure it will heal quickly. At least Bubu is back to his sweet little baby-like self :) I kiss our geckos all of the time too! I guess you just can't be too careful when handling multiple males, I'll have to always keep that in mind!

Gecko Euphoria

Wow that gecko kicked your butt, Never thought that would happen but I have never kissed a gecko I'll stick with my wife,j/k, Arent you scared of salmonella by kissing them that bite would be the least of my worries salmonilla could kill let alone make you very sick, and geckos walk through there pooh and track it and stuff man thats why I've never kissed one. plus maybe that gecko just wasn't in to you, That night since you kissed another male, jk I should'nt joke thats a whopper of a bite I hope it heals ok for you and is not painful.

Mel, just kiss their back or bum...;). Its lucky that it was Hardee that bit me; if it was Marly or SiuFu (the chunky masters), I'll probably need stitches...

nats

Ouch! that looks nasty! :(

Makes me think of all the folks who think leos dont have teeth!! :main_rolleyes:

At least your smart and experienced enough to figure out
and understand WHY he bit you. I would never have thought
of that.

rubym

Ouwie!!!!! I hope it feels better really soon. My husband tells me all the time that I am going to get bit that way. My big boy likes to come up and nose my face. He sometimes does the little lick thing. I only kiss him on his little head. I have no doubt that Eben could do some damage though. He took a chunk out of one of our females tail. Feel better soon!!!!

Visit our friends