Size of crickets?

B

barmanpoet

Greetings! I was quite suprised this year to recieve a leopard gecko for Christmas. Since I had no advance notice I've been doing my best to catch up on all the info there is out there on caring for my new little guy. I have read a lot of the threads that have been posted already to limit the amount of dumb/redundant questions I ask, but I do have a question about cricket size that I'm not sure about. When talking about the size of cricket appropriate for the gecko (advice seems to be smaller than the head or 2/3 the distance between the eyes), are we talking about the length of the cricket or the width. I've seen some things written as length, others as width and some as just size. I have crickets that the pet store he was purchased from said are the right size, and if we're talking about the width of the cricket then they're ok, but if it's the length that's important they may be too big. Sorry for this rambling question, but I would appreciate any help.

G

GeckoMandi

To make it simple I would only feed crickets the size of the gecko's head ;) A little bigger than that most likely wouldn't hurt anything.

B

barmanpoet

Thanks for the replies. Also, do geckos stop eating when they've had enough, or will they eat too much? Should I just give him as many crickets as he wants to eat?

G

gerryl

m8

with 'young' Gecko's about 6 Crickets in the evening is fine...do leave them in for a few hours...then remove...if ye can't catch them!...but a small slice of carrot in the Viv to keep them feed...and adjust the number accordingly with the next feed...do be carefully of how many crickets are left in the Viv!;)

Visit our friends