Incubation Temp and temperment

I

imbrad2003

I have read that higher temps in the second part of incubation "after temp sexing" can influence the shade of the gecko, my question is:

does this affect the temperment and female aggression? and is this still being practiced as a form of enhancement?:main_huh:

Gregg M

Registered Member
I have read that higher temps in the second part of incubation "after temp sexing" can influence the shade of the gecko, my question is:

does this affect the temperment and female aggression? and is this still being practiced as a form of enhancement?:main_huh:

I have not seen this personally but enough people have seen this to make me believe there is some merit to it...

In nature, there will always be more females produced than male... This holds true in captive breeding as well... You will still see females pop out of male incubators... Any female I hatched from male incubators have acted like any other female I hatched...

As far as doing this to enhance female coloration goes, it may make them a bit brighter but the fluctuating of temps during incubation can be harmful to the developing leo in the egg... It is not something that should be done...

eric

OREGON GECKO
Gregg I agree 100%, also If I may add to it, the same can be said about males that hatch at lower temperatures being smaller in size at adulthood and have been know to be lazy breeders compared to there siblings males hatched at higher temperatures. I believe it to be Brian Viets who did the study.

SleepyDee

the same can be said about males that hatch at lower temperatures being smaller in size at adulthood and have been know to be lazy breeders compared to there siblings males hatched at higher temperatures.
I read a study in Variation in Repro (think by Rhen & Crews) which ties in well with my own experiance of 'cool' males in that if anything far from being 'lazy breeders' they tend to be more sexually active with more courtship shown towards females, they also tend to scentmark less and show less aggression then males incubated at higher temps ~ size wise I personally haven't found any substantial difference ;)

S

shawn119

I have not seen this personally but enough people have seen this to make me believe there is some merit to it...

In nature, there will always be more females produced than male... This holds true in captive breeding as well... You will still see females pop out of male incubators... Any female I hatched from male incubators have acted like any other female I hatched...

As far as doing this to enhance female coloration goes, it may make them a bit brighter but the fluctuating of temps during incubation can be harmful to the developing leo in the egg... It is not something that should be done...

I agree.

eric

OREGON GECKO
I read a study in Variation in Repro (think by Rhen & Crews) which ties in well with my own experiance of 'cool' males in that if anything far from being 'lazy breeders' they tend to be more sexually active with more courtship shown towards females, they also tend to scentmark less and show less aggression then males incubated at higher temps ~ size wise I personally haven't found any substantial difference ;)

Are you saying that a more feminine male is more in touch with a female? So what does he buy her an apple martini before copulating, and lets her hold the remote and they cuddle afterwords. lol!. Only joking. Seriously I'm only joking. I'll agree to disagree.:main_thumbsup:
If my memory serves me correct Rhen & Crews were also the ones who claimed that High temp females were sterile and more aggressive after studying them for only a year. Brian Viets took on the study and went farther by doing a longer trial, and proved that theory not true.

Last edited:

SleepyDee

Are you saying that a more feminine male is more in touch with a female? So what does he buy her an apple martini before copulating, and lets her hold the remote and they cuddle afterwords. lol!. Only joking. Seriously I'm only joking. I'll agree to disagree.:main_thumbsup:
roflmao and there was me thinking he handed her a gift-tagged crix before the job :D
If my memory serves me correct Rhen & Crews were also the ones who claimed that High temp females were sterile and more aggressive after studying them for only a year. Brian Viets took on the study and went farther by doing a longer trial, and proved that theory not true.
the one I read was published (I think) in 2002 and there were several various studies by others ~ which were aimed at effects of hormone changes (testosterone & estrogen etc)/steroid/temp levels and behaviour which happened to tie into another study concerning hormones being used as a form of 'birth control' for leo's.
As I said earlier though what interested me personally was how ~ regarding cool & hot temp males ~ it tied in with my own observations ;)

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru

Interesting SD! You are describing
a male SS I have that I have been concerned with getting a breeding from.
He's now in his second season of getting a chance to breed.
Very nice with females, just started this season rattling his tail,
showing a very polite courtship way of learning his part. Completely difference observation with him to my other males.
Thanks. Take care. HJ

Visit our friends