Flexwatt questions! HELP!!!!

BalloonzForU

Ok, just got my order from Reptile Basics, called and left a message, but I figured I might get a faster response here if anyone is online.

The flexwatt looks nothing like I've seen pics of on the internet. There are diagonal lines in black and the marks for the foot is more than a foot.

My questions are this:

1. Do I have to cut diagonally across the flexwatt between those black lines or can I cut it straight? I have no idea what is in that black area, or if it's safe to cut through.

2. Do I have to fallow the footage marks or can I cut shorter?

3. Why did I get the foil tape and what do I do with it? (got it cause someone had posted in another thread not to forget it. LOL)

I'm finally going to wire my hatchling rack and get all the random small heat pads out of it. Help please!!!!

BalloonzForU

Rich @ Reptile Basics, called back and was such a big help. I'm not going to delete this post, as this info may help others.

Answers to questions:

1. No you can cut the tape at a 90 degree angle, just the end heat element will not work if it is not touching the metal strip at the end on both sides.

2. You can cut it to any length you need, doesn't need to be at the marks.

3. Foil tape to tape the flexwatt to shelf, works much better than duct tape, doesn't dry out, etc.

4. Yes you can use electrical type but not recommended for safety issues, disclaimer must be said. LOL

BalloonzForU

Well he was right, all works, got two shelves done, and the wire is connected for the rest, just need to put them in place. However, at the moment, I'm trying to figure out what/how to set this damn thermostat now. aaarrrrrggggg

Anyone got a Johnson A419? What are with all these settings and what do they mean? LOL I should have gotten another Helix! :(

BalloonzForU

I finished all four (top) shelves, two more units with four shelves to go, but I'm not doing those right now, I may do them when I get home from vacation.

I decided to not mess with any of the default settings except the temp on the thermostat didn't want to mess it up, since I couldn't figure out what the hell they are for. I have the probe on the flexwatt, and glass thermometers in a few of the tubs, on different shelves, and they are steady at 90 degrees. :) However the flexwatt is 100 degrees, does this sound normal, there is a 10 degrees difference with the flexwatt and the floor temps of the tubs?

I know once I finish the rest of the shelves and have two more thermostats hooked up, I'll have to change the settings, but it's working now. :main_thumbsup:

R

Russ S

BalloonzForU said:
I have the probe on the flexwatt, and glass thermometers in a few of the tubs, on different shelves, and they are steady at 90 degrees. :) However the flexwatt is 100 degrees, does this sound normal, there is a 10 degrees difference with the flexwatt and the floor temps of the tubs?

Sounds normal to me, you will always lose a little heat as it radiates through the plastic and air.

Visit our friends