Need help handling with a very nervous leo

Jeff876533

Jeffrayy
hey, my SHT possibly CT named goblin (my avatar) is really nervous around me. Everytime i come within 2 feet from her tank, she'll run back into her hide. How can i make her less nervous, so eventually i can hold her? Ive tried putting my hand in the tank for about a week, and then slowly putting my fingers under her belly. When i did that, she freaked and ran as fast as she could into her hide. Should i keep on putting my hand into the tank everyday for a while?? if so, how long should i keep my hand in there, and how many days should i do???

N

Nastynotch

ya, i suggest to do what your doing.

Like you said shes just really antsy. If you keep your hand in the tank for a while each day (and keep touching her) she should eventually realize theres nothing to be afraid off. Just keep doing it untill she becomes more calm.

my two cents**

D

Dottie

Patience and consistancy! When she starts to realize your hand is what feeds her, she'll be more comfortable. Right now it looks like a big giant predator. This may take a while. You haven't had her that long so don't expect her to warm up right away. Keep putting your hand in there but don't try to pick her up. Hopefully she will eventually get curious and come smell you and maybe start climbing up. I think curiosity almost always gets the better of them.
Dorcas

Jeff876533

Jeffrayy
thanks for the advice guys, ive had her since july 17, so thats about ehh around 4 1/2 months. I'll try your guys's tips, thankss:D

Jeff K

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Some leos seem to be more skittish than others. I have a female that took her almost 2 years to fully trust my hand. She didn't run for her life when I put my hand down, but she wouldn't want to walk on my hand; and if I picked her up, she'd jump. Now that she's getting older (4 years old), she doesn't mind being picked up anymore. But occasionally, she'd still want to jump off my hand.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Hmmmm... I'm going to take a different approach and tell you to go ahead and pick her up... and when you do, immediately put her on your chest and make a 'cave' around her with your hands. Talk to her in an even tone the whole time. As soon as she settles down, gently scoop her up and put her back in her enclosure. Do this several times a day, until she calms down readily. Gradually increase the amount of time you hold her, and when she is calm you can slowly raise your hands from around the 'cave'. If she wants to climb up on your shoulder, let her! If she jumps, she jumps... then scoop her up and put her back in her enclosure.

I have had a couple of whacko geckos in all these years, and they ALL have tamed down to a manageable degree after a few weeks. I do agree that each gecko has it's own distinct character and personality, and a few will just never be docile and tame.

D

DannyCrazy4Geckos

Trust Marcia on this one. I've personally seen how tame her geckos are, even at a few weeks old.:main_thumbsup:

Jeff876533

Jeffrayy
Golden Gate Geckos said:
Hmmmm... I'm going to take a different approach and tell you to go ahead and pick her up... and when you do, immediately put her on your chest and make a 'cave' around her with your hands. Talk to her in an even tone the whole time. As soon as she settles down, gently scoop her up and put her back in her enclosure. Do this several times a day, until she calms down readily. Gradually increase the amount of time you hold her, and when she is calm you can slowly raise your hands from around the 'cave'. If she wants to climb up on your shoulder, let her! If she jumps, she jumps... then scoop her up and put her back in her enclosure.

I have had a couple of whacko geckos in all these years, and they ALL have tamed down to a manageable degree after a few weeks. I do agree that each gecko has it's own distinct character and personality, and a few will just never be docile and tame.

that sounds like a good idea actually. I have a couple questions though. Whenever i try to pick her up, she freaks and runs back into her hide, should i pick her up anyway?? and also, should i put her on my chest while standing up, or laying down???

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Alright, I'm in the same boat now! Last night, I discovered I have a little shark at home, LOL. The new PA male that I got, decided that pecking at my fingers is just not enough! He started chasing my hand, jumping and trying to bite. All I was trying to do was to take away his calcium dish that he'd just pooped in...I'm going to give him a week to calm down before I put my hand near him again.

GoGo

I'm Watching You
gothra, leopard geckos, especially young ones or ones that havent been handled often, think their all that and a bag of chips. Let him bite you or let him get close to biting you and move your hand away like your scared, that would make your gecko think it had established lordyness over your hand and maybe let you pick it up.

SpOuK-3-

for me ... I force him ... I chase him in the cage because he's trying to go away everytime I try to take him .... sooo... I chase him and finaly he come on my hand by himself .... since a week .... he see my hand and he come near it so I just have to pick him up .... he's just about 1½ month ...

try my trick ... because he will always fear your hand until you proove him it's safe .... try to make a "cave" like Golden Gate says ... it's a good trick because he feel safe and it's "hot" ...

Immagine you are in a cage .. and a big hand try to pick you up ... I will hide myself for sure :p

thats why it take some time ... try to feed him from your hand with some worms ... its a good trick too ... sometimes he wait for me to feed him ....

Last edited by a moderator:

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I think that'll work on most geckos; but this one I got is EXTREMELY defensive. If I give him too much pressure, he might stop eating or even drop his tail. Since I'd just had him for 2 weeks, I think its better for me to give him another week or so to calm down a little, before I try the whole thing again.

Visit our friends