How many mealworms for baby?

F

fullyclips

Hey everyone, I just got a new Tremper Albino, shes about 2 months old. I feed my 2 year old male 9 crickets and 2 mealworms on a daily basis and throw in a few wax worms every other week. My question is about the juvenile. Currently I give her about 10 mealworms daily before she seems to be content. Is this normal? or should she be eating more? Also, shes a pretty bad hunter it seems lol, she misses the mealworms crawling right under her nose! She won't touch the ones in the dish, i'm assuming because she doesn't see them/they don't wiggle much. Any suggestions?

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
Sometimes they aren't real hungry during the day, so she may have a preferred "time" for eating. If she's going through 10 mealworms a day, that sounds about right, but it depends on her weight (not just her age) and how big the mealworms are. It doesn't hurt to offer more if you're putting them in a dish. I usually put about three days worth of worms in my food dishes and let the geckos choose how much they want to eat.

N

Nastynotch

like mr. pual said, they'll eat according to growth patterns.

offer them, and they'll eat what they want. sometimes more than others.

it wont hurt, geckos arent like dogs, they wont eat themselfs alive.
they have a little more self controll

F

fullyclips

Ahh ok, thanks for the answers =D Now for the problem of her apparently not being interested (since the worms aren't moving. And she apparently can't see too well either, they go right under her nose and everything!) or not seeing the worms inside of the dish. Any suggestions?

P

pawsfoot

I try sitting the dish on top of the UTH. The heat makes them a little more active and they tend to wriggle a bit. I also throw Calcium in the bottom of the dish with them. I guess it kinda helps them stick out more against the white. If she lets you pick her up and touch her you could try to lifther a little to see inside the dish. She just may not have realized they are in there til now. Also when I had my first gecko I got a dish that was too high for her. Maybe your dish sides are a little too tall. My dish sides right now are only about 1/2 in and I don't have mealie escapees and my geckos can see them. Sorry for the long post, but you could also try a see-through dish liek the bottom of a tupperware container. Just cut it to make it about 1/2 in up and sand the edges down so they are smooth. Anyway I hope you luck.

H

herplover92

Nastynotch said:
like mr. pual said, they'll eat according to growth patterns.

offer them, and they'll eat what they want. sometimes more than others.

it wont hurt, geckos arent like dogs, they wont eat themselfs alive.
they have a little more self controll
I dont agree with that,lol. I have a juvenile that eats about 25 mealworms each day and when i feed wax worms she eats 15. She is weighing at 30 grams.

P

pawsfoot

It seems to me that you are going to have a pretty big gecko before long. lol.

H

herplover92

pawsfoot said:
It seems to me that you are going to have a pretty big gecko before long. lol.
I am slowing down on the food. i am feeding her the same amount but every 2 days. She grows like a weed. My cousin came over and he saw the female and he said "it looks like the other one i saw last week". It was the same gecko, but she grows every day!

F

fullyclips

Wow your baby eats alot!, My 2 month old is pretty erratic, most days she eats 10-13 before shes satisfied, other days she eats about 4-5.

Visit our friends