separating baby mealworms from the substrate

Mich

Hi guys. I started my mealworm colony awhile ago and it is going great! I've got thousands of free feeders from it and raised 90% of my seasons hatchlings for free :) My question is what is the best substrate to use ... Right now I use oats and omg it's such a pain in the butt to try and separate the little worms from the substrate!! I tried to sift them out but that didn't work so well and I've spent house leaning over the container with tweezers and scoops trying to get as many worms out as I can. I like to gather them all up once the reach a certain size and put them in the fridge so they don't grow faster then my hatchlings an eat them. Any tips?

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Use something that sifts easily through a sieve. I use Progeckos Gutload, but really anything that is fine and siftable and suitable food will do; blended wheat bran, blended oatmeal, etc. The key is to get it fine enough that it falls through the screening while the larger worms stay behind.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Shake and Bake

Hi guys. I started my mealworm colony awhile ago and it is going great! I've got thousands of free feeders from it and raised 90% of my seasons hatchlings for free :) My question is what is the best substrate to use ... Right now I use oats and omg it's such a pain in the butt to try and separate the little worms from the substrate!! I tried to sift them out but that didn't work so well and I've spent house leaning over the container with tweezers and scoops trying to get as many worms out as I can. I like to gather them all up once the reach a certain size and put them in the fridge so they don't grow faster then my hatchlings an eat them. Any tips?

If you do not wish to change right now.....
Try this
(it works well for me without any problems)
Take white paper towel sheets,
8 to 10, spray outside of the tub
all but the last 2 sheets.....
lay them in overnight or at your schedule,
2 dry ones down.
Shake or pick off towels after 4 to 8 hours or
as I do in the morning.
I usually add 200 or so to the fridge
each sitting.[5 - 10 min.]
No moisture problems + dehydration
deaths seen much less a problem.
Carrots are my moisture food...