Cat litter as meal worm median

Euphillia

i'm not talking clay here, don't worry! I use a brand called Swheat Scoop for my cat and it's ingredient list is: Naturally process wheat and other grains, renewable resources. It says it is clay and chemical free.

I just buy a big ol bag and I am all about being able to just scoop from there instead of having to get something separate.

It's like pouring cereal in my cat box. Smells that way too. Good idea??

fl_orchidslave

NO! Worms eat their bedding. No cat litter has any nutritional value whatsoever. If you're looking for something to use that's around the house already, old fashioned oats is very good. Don't cook it first :)

Euphillia

That's what i was wondering. I am just using blended up cereal for now. I need to go to the feed store and get something better. Thanks!

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
But one thing to keep in mind is that bran is very high in oxalates, a substance that binds calcium, making it unavailable for use. I would suggest chicken feed (I use Blue Seal Home Fresh). It's high in protein, low in fat, and has a properly balanced calcium:phosphorous ratio. The particles of the feed are very small, and easy to sift through. The worms grow HUGE on it, too! The plus side is the price: only about $8 for a 25 pound bag.

Visit our friends