Questions for those who have Dubia colonies

Latlaw

I've decided to try to start a small Dubia colony and had questions regarding heat and containers. I thought I'd use a sterilite container but not sure how to maintain the proper heat. Could I use a "mini" UTH or is there a better method? I'm wondering what others use for containers and heat sources. I'm planning to breed just a small colony for my 6 leo's.

NRG

Depends where you live and what sort of temps you have. I live in the UK so I have made a cabinet type thing out of mdf lined with styrofoam and have the heatmat at the back. But if you live in a fairly warm area just a heatmat underneath will be fine.

Bellalee

Most UTH are NOT supposed to be used on plastic. They will burn the tub. I use a human heating pad, it works just great. :) I also have a blanket around it to keep the heat in.

geckobeginner22

Hi where did u get ur human heat pad from? I have been looking for one to use on my tubs when I make them. I was thinking maybe the reptile uth would burn the bottom of the tubs but orthers seem to use them without anything happenning. The tub is going to be in my room so I would rather not start a fire when I am not home. Did u get yours from a website if so which one?.. thanks akot

serialzombie

Ἴκαρος
As has been said before, human heat pad. I got an old one from a garage sale. During the winter I set it on medium, summer, low. I live in Northern Illinois.

I use the tall Sterilite sweater box and find no need for insulation.

Redleg

You can get the 'human heat pads' from any of the 'big box stores' like the one that looks like a bull's eye or a smiley face.....T@rg*t and W@l-M@rt

Visit our friends