Rack idea

ReptileMan27

Well I have been looking into building a rack or two and been checking out all the ones members here and other places have built. Anyways someone I know came up with what seems like a great and easier idea then building one. Rubbermaid makes shelfs that have sliding out containers, they make different sized ones, I see them alot for sale in the stores. They look very similar to what people build, im going to look into them more and maybe just use them rather then building something..

paulnj

Jason, Those 3 shelf units (from walmart for instance) have alot of space above the drawers and will be hard to heat. I have seen the ones with lidded containers , but they were very shallow so you'd need a low profile hide. You would still have heating issues with it, but can always rig up some heat tape or heat rope I guess.

Leopardbreeder

Really, I would stick with building one. It really isn't as hard as it sounds, and you can make certain things that you would like to customize. Its also a lot cheaper. Mine cost about $90 after everything I need to build +20 to build.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've been thinking about getting the single drawer sliding plastic containers. It's like the 3-drawer ones but it's only one drawer that slides into a frame. I think they're about $7.50 each. I don't think it would replace a multi-unit rack, but I need individual containers that I can move around. I figure if I put a low-wattage UHT under it and a probe inside it I should be OK.

Aliza

paulnj

Aliza, those may work, but a UTH on the draw may hit the frame making it a pain in the...... If a movable light wieght single unit is what you desire, I'd go with a tub and lid.

I built a 12 32qt, 24 15qt and 24 hatchling rack for about $200 for materials and heat tape.

Here is a basic hatchling rack build, modify it to whatever size you desire.
http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/rack.shtml

spook80

hello, i thought i would add my 2 cents. about 2-3 yrs ago i bought those rubbermaid containers that was mentioned. they work great,except one problem i had was escapes,my adults could squeeze right through those littlespaces at the top sides,and at knight when there active i would hear a kerplunk! id turn on the lights and sure enough.the drawers were closed and my big boy,102gram blizz was out and running arond the room.two of my females figure out they could do it also and did.i tried tape,cardboard.finally i had to give them all away due to medical reasons. now i just started my new colony yesterday.i have my new baby blizz,a nice baby jungle and a little snow on the way.i will probably just stick with what i have now for enclosures{critter keepers}and 10gal.till i figure out how i wanna house them for life.any way i thought yall might be enterested in my experiance. laters:main_evilgrin:

trizzypballr

DSC05808.jpg

DSC05805.jpg

Dont mind the dirt on the floor, didnt get a chance to clean before I took the pics, but here is an example of how cheap it is to build a rack. The large rack only took 3 sheets of plyboard and like 2 bundles of 1 x 3s. the small one took 2 sheets of plywood, and 1 bundle of 1 x 3s. So total for that whole setup was 5 sheets of plywood and 3 bundles of 1 x 3s. Total price would cost you around $78. You need to add heat then and containers oviously, but thats the wood cost for ya.

trizzypballr

Haha yeah tanks are cool, but honostly with geckos they arnt needed, a 10 gallon is approximately the same base size as a 15 qt, and since geckos dont climb It all works out the same;-)

Haroldo

Actually, I've already done what I understand you are wanting to do. Worked well until one of my leopards decided he wanted out. I installed heat tape under each level and even ran the wiring inside the plastic legs of the unit. Let me see if I can find some pics of it...

Visit our friends