Incubation Medium

P

paul

I have a question regarding perlite.

Last year I have used vermiculite as an incubation medium. I have decided to try perlite.

Now my question is that the amount of water required to achieve the .8 to 1 ratio seems very little water.

Is this sufficient amount of water or will you need to top it up?

How do you get your perlite/water ratio perfect?

thanks

paul

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I use Perlite and the .8 to 1 ratio myself. It has worked perfectly for me so far. If you don't see any condensation around the sides of the container spray them lightly a couple times, but don't get the eggs wet.

Albey's Method

P

paul

thanks, i just had a look at albey's method. Just could not believe the small amount of water that get added if you compare it with vermiculite.

thanks

paul

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I use Albey's method too. I had to add a small amount of water to the containers 1 or 2 times during the season (which went from Feb. to Oct.) when the eggs started to dent a bit. Everyone has hatched fine,though,with 3 more to go.

Aliza

koloj

Holes or No Holes

I was wondering what people do to circulate/keep moisture in deli cups when incubating just one clutch. Do you have holes? How many? Do you lift the lip up? How often?

Pinky81

I was wondering what people do to circulate/keep moisture in deli cups when incubating just one clutch. Do you have holes? How many? Do you lift the lip up? How often?

You answer is in your thread!

Albey's method with perilite does seem off..thats why i went with vermic. But as long as you follow the ratio's you should be fine!:main_thumbsup:

TranceZ

This is my first year trying perlite and the hatch rate has been 100% so far. yes, the water amount seems little. Get yourself a spray bottle and spray the top of it until it gets you that .08 ratio so the water is evenly lined. Goodluck.

MandyGurl

i use hatchrite which says that you dont need to add any water to it. Has anyone else tried it?

Visit our friends