Flushing the eye, how?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
One of my gecko has a piece of shed/debris in his eye, I tried to "flush" it out (when I say "flush" I just used a dropper to drip water to his eye - is this how its supposed to be done?) Anyways, 3 days ago I did it once and I thought the shed/debris has successfully flushed out, the eye looked clear and he is not licking or shutting it at all. But yesterday I noticed the debris reappeared. I probably just managed to washed it to the corner of his eye. I did the same process again, eventhough I can't see it now but I'm pretty sure it'll come back out from the corner of his eye in a few days.

So my question is: can I use a wet q-tip to gently wipe it out from the front corner of his eye? By the way, how exactly do you flush the eye? When I drip water to his eye, he quickly shuts it, and so most of the water just rolled off his eyelid.

robin

bonnie when you flush it try to start either at the outside edge of the eye or inside edge of the eye and let the sterile saline "flush" or rinse across the eye. imagine flushing a toilet or rinsing off a plate but much gentler heh

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Ok I see. I suppose I need to open his eye with my fingers when flushing? I hope I won't damage his eye.

JordanAng420

You can try to open the eye with your fingers, but you won't have much success. They tend to "suck" their eyes back into their head. It's better just to come from behind and kind of suprise the gecko, and sort of get it done fast before they know what hit them.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I got a bottle of "0.9% sodium chloride Intravenous Infusion B.P." from my sister-in-law yesterday, she is a nurse, I suppose that's suitable for flushing? I couldn't find which eye has the debris right now, I'll need to wait till its visible again before I do the flush.

maximusx6910

Ive heard people using turtle eye drops? just a suggestion i would wait for someone to dis/ or confirm that. And the q tips i agree on. i had that problem once. Maybe try and hold them, and let them relax and slowly try using the q tip.or just softly rub it on the place where the skin is.

Visit our friends