SOOOO SCARED SOMEONE HELP

K

Kazuya's mom

Kazuya, my 5 month old, has something coming out of the slit. im not sure if it is male or female it is so young...the owner thought it may have been an undigested mealworm and suggested i take tweezers to it..it wasnt. it streched and snapped back. then i took it to they guy..he said it may be a penis. but someone told me that geckos dont get those organs till they are over a year. im scared. i am going to go to a vet, but i cant go until this weekend. help

K

Kazuya's mom

it was a light pink. then when i had touched with the tweezers its like a red color. its not in the middle.. its more on its right side

K

Kazuya's mom

i would send a pic but i dont know how to upload it on here

Scott&Nikki

Well, I am in no way an expert at this, but it sounds like a prolapse of maybe the hemipenis? Prolapse is when organ kinda... falls out of place. And the hemipenis is the male reproductive organ. Marcia will get you more/better info is she is still around this thread.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
If the gecko is still very young, It wouldn't likely be his hemipenis. It sounds like a cloacal (rectum) prolapse, which is usually caused by straining trying to defecate, and the end of the bowel comes out of the gecko's vent. It should be seen by a vet if it doesn't correct itself, and keep it on moist paper towel in the meantime.

Scott&Nikki

Golden Gate Geckos said:
If the gecko is still very young, It wouldn't likely be his hemipenis. It sounds like a cloacal (rectum) prolapse, which is usually caused by straining trying to defecate, and the end of the bowel comes out of the gecko's vent. It should be seen by a vet if it doesn't correct itself, and keep it on moist paper towel in the meantime.

Is 5 months too young for it to be a hemipenis? It seems it would make more sense for it to be the rectum. I'm guessing a hemipenis prolapse just occurs after mating?

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I'm guessing a hemipenis prolapse just occurs after mating?
Usually. I have not seen a hemipenile prolapse on any male other than post-coitus, but it could be possible.

Either way, you should start soaking the fellow in warm sugar-water (thick and syrupy) for 15-20 minutes every 3-4 hours, and keep him on moist paper towel in between soaks. If it doesn't invert, then see a vet.

L

Lyndsey

Oh lordy...that is scary! I would have freaked out

Hope it corrects itself and your leo is alright

K

Kazuya's mom

is it true that geckos do not have a very high success rate after getting prolapse

Visit our friends