Moorish-Crested Gecko Cross Breed?

P

Plastikman01

I have a Crested, Moorish and Fan-Footed Gecko in one terrarium who all get along just fine.

When I woke up this morning, there was an egg next to the water dish! I’m suspecting that the Crested Gecko laid the egg and mated with the Moorish since the fan footed is so small.

Has anyone ever heard of a Crested Gecko breeding with a different species? I will incubate the egg by following my gecko books, but any advice/tips would be much appreciated since I have never done this before!

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I have heard of crested x chahouha hybrids, but I doubt that a crested x moorish cross would yield viable offspring, as they are not only in different genera, but also different subfamilies, making them fairly distant relatives. Regardless of who laid the egg, I would separate each gecko into it's own enclosure, they require different conditions and have different temperaments, eventually you will run into trouble keeping them together.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
female cresties will lay eggs even without a male around so the likely hood of her cross breedig with a completely different species (is more likely to happen with a member of the rhac species) is seriously small.

P

Plastikman01

I have had the same 3 geckos in the same terrarium for over 2 years now and never had this happen before... Doesn't the gecko need to mate with another in order to lay eggs? If so, the crestie mated with either the Moorish or the fan footed.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
Not at all. I have had cresties pushing 4 years now and even virgin females will lay eggs. Reptiles do not need a male in order to lay eggs. Female crested geckos are known to lay eggs even without a male around, moreso the other species. It is simply her bodies way of saying "hey I am mature!". Because of your logic they only lay eggs in the case of males, then please 7 of my 12 females that I have that in the past when they laid eggs (and mind you the are housed in only female/female setups) that obviously one of them can not be female. This logic makes no sense. I highly doubt your geckos coss bred.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
No many females in the reptilian world, will produce/lay eggs, that are infertile (duds) without a male even being present.

P

Plastikman01

Thank you! I obviously need to learn a lot more about my animals.

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
its okay we all make mistakes and stuff like that. but just like us female humans do not need a male to ovulate and have our monthly cycles just for reptiles sometimes they produce infertile eggs at the same time. like what all the others said that crossbreeding with a totally different species is highly unlikely and if it did happen that the offspring probably wouldn't be viable. I would highly recommend seperating them into their own enclosure i dont know the requirements for fan foots and moorish but its not good to have multiple species of animals in the same enclosure.

Visit our friends