Moist Hide Substrate

J

jason23

Ok I've been using moss in my moist hides..

I read somewhere that this material should be changed out regularly to avoid bacteria growing.

How often should it be changed out? If it's too much i might try paper towels because that will get expensive.

nats

Ok I've been using moss in my moist hides..

I read somewhere that this material should be changed out regularly to avoid bacteria growing.

How often should it be changed out? If it's too much i might try paper towels because that will get expensive.

I dont use moss anymore because one of my guys eats it, but when I did, I changed it out once a week.

shadowx362

Excellent Geckos
well during breeding I use vermiculite, which they sometimes eat. they always poop it out though. I would use Paper towels if your not breeding.

LizMarie

A little off topic but if they're eating the moss can you wrap it up in a thin layer of paper towels because paper towels don't seem to keep the humidity too long. I spray it twice a day and that doesn't seem to be enough..

Last edited:
S

SLY

I just started using some extra repti-carpet I had lying around. It holds the moisture well. Good plan? Bad plan?

Spooki

caffeine zombie
i change the moss every 2 weeks, but if it's pooped on or smells bad i'll change it more frequently.

Haligren

is behind you.
I used moss as well and misted once or twice a day depending on whether it really needed it or not. I emptied the container once a week and rinsed it and dried it out before putting in more moss. I never saw Fafnir use it but he did have a good shed before he died....He was going to be so pretty. :<

C

cadGweep

I think anything that stays wet for a long time has this problem. If you can somehow mix it up, flip it or otherwise rearrange it so the moisture is more homogeneous and then allow it to dry out once in a while before re-wetting it, it should be safe to use it longer. I'm using EcoEarth (coconut husk) and that's what I've been doing so far for about a month. Probably about time I should change it though.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I use coir; I only change it about once a month...but I let it dry out completely before I re-mist it everytime.

nats

A little off topic but if they're eating the moss can you wrap it up in a thin layer of paper towels because paper towels don't seem to keep the humidity too long. I spray it twice a day and that doesn't seem to be enough..

Im trying to find some way to wrap the moss, but I dont like the paper towel idea because they just rip into it.

L

Libby15

Mine doesn't rip it up. I fold it several times like a pillow.

L

Libby15

You watch, mine will tear it up today. You think I should take him to my Mom's for Thanksgiving. She would like that. :main_laugh: ;)

lillith

lillith's leo lovables
I like the moss pillow idea.

Except for lizards that rip for fun.
Is vermiculite considered an impaction risk like sand? I hadn't considered a moist hide with it. Would it be safe/sane/healthy for the geckos to have a vermiculite layer with a moss pit on top? I'm beginning to think this might be the perfect solution to get everyone off of sand and still get to play in the dirt. Dirt is good clean fun, you know.

nats

I like the moss pillow idea.

Except for lizards that rip for fun.
Is vermiculite considered an impaction risk like sand? I hadn't considered a moist hide with it. Would it be safe/sane/healthy for the geckos to have a vermiculite layer with a moss pit on top? I'm beginning to think this might be the perfect solution to get everyone off of sand and still get to play in the dirt. Dirt is good clean fun, you know.

Yes, the vermiculite can be ingested and cause impaction.
The reason I was using sphagnum moss is, it's in long strings, and they said
lizards cant swallow it for that reason.
They LIED!!
If you read my rather graphic ordeal that I posted earlier, one of my males
did eat quite a bit of it, and the results where not pleasant.
I still think the moss idea is the best because it stays moist alot longer then
towels.
So, I need to find some kind of loose weave material to make moss pillows!
I'm thinking I could put some moss on a square piece of material, and tie
it up with a rubber band.
I'm thinking also maybe a ladies nylon stocking would work!?

Any ideas?

S

Snowy & Petra de Gecko

Why not a washcloth or two.

I am still experimenting but, if you want a pillow then why not two wash cloths, sewn together, with the moss in the middle of the two.

Or you could use terry cloths.

breanna-banana13

is a pirate
Yes, the vermiculite can be ingested and cause impaction.
The reason I was using sphagnum moss is, it's in long strings, and they said
lizards cant swallow it for that reason.
They LIED!!
If you read my rather graphic ordeal that I posted earlier, one of my males
did eat quite a bit of it, and the results where not pleasant.
I still think the moss idea is the best because it stays moist alot longer then
towels.
So, I need to find some kind of loose weave material to make moss pillows!
I'm thinking I could put some moss on a square piece of material, and tie
it up with a rubber band.
I'm thinking also maybe a ladies nylon stocking would work!?

Any ideas?

try a clean sock....

Visit our friends