New display tank

E

Euphoria

Ok all, Ive been slowly buying bits an pieces of my new display tank and i'd like to get everyone's opinion on what im buying:

1. first off i got the terrarium a while back and have been aching to use use it for some time now, its the Exo Terra Glass Terrarium, many cool features.
glass_terrarium_2.jpg

2. Im not completely positive about this idea but i thought i'd get a waterfall for the corner. Not only does it improve humidity levels but the running water keeps the water in a fresher state. I know it sits a bit high so im also going to build steps out of sheet rock.
waterfalls_1b.jpg

3.The Reptile Den seems to get good reviews from members of this forum so i figured why try something new that no one has ever seen. Although i do have a question about this, if i do put moss in this deos it make for a good humi hide?
reptile_den_2.jpg

4.Im going to put reptile carpet in for the flooring, just because I'm familiar with it. But wen my little dood gets a bit bigger i am going to try sand, an i know alot of people are going to frown on this decision.

5.and if i can, because it really isnt that big of a tank, its just for my single baby at the moment, ill put in a normal store bought hide in the tank, but until then just use half of a plant pot.

And in all the mix there will be regular humidors and temp. readers, UTH source and i think i might put a light above the terr., but my room gets alot of sunlight. What does everyone think? Any suggestions? Please I really just want honest answers. Thanks all

G

GeckoMandi

My boyfriend has the second largest exo terra glass cage for his red tail boa and I have to say it really looks awesome, I like them alot.

Everything you have going looks good to me, I don't know how those waterfalls work and the humidity, I just mist their warm hides for that, but looks wise it is a cute idea.

Love the magnetic reptile dens, I don't have 1 yet but I want one.

E

Euphoria

y ty =], i plan on getting the bulk of all this by the 20th of this month

G

GeckoAZ

I have the reptile den (middle one) and I put wet moss in the top chamber and it works well for one gecko.....I watched two 50-65 grm geckos try to fit and it was not a pretty sight.

J

justin-branam

GeckoAZ said:
I have the reptile den (middle one) and I put wet moss in the top chamber and it works well for one gecko.....I watched two 50-65 grm geckos try to fit and it was not a pretty sight.

i have the large one, and all three of my adults, 54g, 56g and 62g fit in it fine.

As far as the waterfall goes, i would opt against it. it will actually raise the humidity in the tank too much for your gecko. remember, leopard geckos are from the desert. they are not use to higher humidity levels. i think you will be happy about the space you save as well. if you do end up using it anyways, dont make a step out of sheetrock. it WILL get wet and WILL mold in a very short time, but again, i would just not use the thing at all.

gecko_man2

Good luck!

I have the large magnetic rock den and I quit using it cause my leos were deficating in it and it was a pain to clean. But they are cool. I also use sand for all my leos accept the smaller ones. I talked to a lot of breeders on the subject of sand and had many trial and errors myself. I now only use 100% pure, all natural, chemical and non-toxic white silica sand. I boil it also and there is no dust at all. I have a sand scooper and every other day I go in and scoop out all the droppings and it only takes a minute. Also I know a big time local breeder of beardeds that has been using the sand for years and hasn't had any impactions or problems with health or the like. But many people don't like to use sand and have their own opinions. I wouldn't use the carpet though. Leopard Geckos nails can get caught in it. I've seen this, not cool.:main_thumbsdown:

R

Russ S

gecko_man2 said:
I now only use 100% pure, all natural, chemical and non-toxic white silica sand.

The only problem I see with your choice of sand is the fact that silica sand is basically crushed glass, is highly abrasive, and can do a great deal of damage both internally and externally over time.

Visit our friends