What's your opinion?

Ok well i knwo that to get certain leo morphs you have to breed the baby back to the mom if possible.Wouldn't this be considered inbreeding?i thought that inbreeding was dangerous to any living creature.So do you all think that doing this is bad or good?what are you opinions?

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Yes, breeding an offspring back to a parent or breeding siblings is considered 'inbreeding'. In nature, the lower the life-form, the less this will have an effect on the offspring. Most breeders will breed an offspring back to a parent without any problems, but it's always a good idea to outcross with an unrelated gecko at least every 3-5 generations to avoid potential genetic defects.

K

KellyTCS

Somebody said in a different forum that Ron Tremper had done an inbreeding project for 27 years until there were defects. I have no idea, but I thought I'd mention that.

brandy101010

I was very nervous of the idea of inbreeding when I first got into leos too. I have not done it yet but I'm sure in the future I will have too in order to create something new or to bring out characteristics that I desire. As long as you out cross there should be minimal problems. You don't have to inbreed To get a certain morph most of the time. If you want a certain morph you can get unrelated animals of the same morph and breed them together. Of course They might be related in someway if you trace back there lineage. You can't get wild caughts in the US, so a lot of the geckos are related in some way or another.

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
Golden Gate Geckos said:
I didn't realize he admitted to having any defects...
In his book he stated after so many generations he noticed them having smaller tails I think, at that point he said he added a few from other breeders.

C

chad e

i thought that inbreeding was dangerous to any living creature.So do you all think that doing this is bad or good?what are you opinions?

marcia doesn't inbreed and has always added fresh blood to her stock. as a result she produces hearty and robust animals. anyone who has ever bought a GGG can attest to that. i think thats a good example of what you get when you contuinely add fresh blood to your lines.

on the other hand to create aline or breed of your own that breeds true and produces offspring that are phenotypically similar consistantly you need them to be genotypically similar as well which means backcrossing to some degree which is basically inbreeding.

technically every tremper albino is related to some degree. the gene had to originate from a single animal at one point. so every time you breed two trempers together your inbreeding somewhat. with that in mind, i feel its even more important to use caution when deciding on weather or not to breed leopard geckos that are to closely related.

gixxer3420

i've never bred a sibling back to his/her mother/father yet but i have heard of alot of breeders doing this and getting amazing off spring but at the same time these breeders always out cross. So in my opinion as long as you out cross everything should turn out ok.

marula

chad e said:
marcia doesn't inbreed and has always added fresh blood to her stock. as a result she produces hearty and robust animals. anyone who has ever bought a GGG can attest to that. i think thats a good example of what you get when you contuinely add fresh blood to your lines.

on the other hand to create aline or breed of your own that breeds true and produces offspring that are phenotypically similar consistantly you need them to be genotypically similar as well which means backcrossing to some degree which is basically inbreeding.

technically every tremper albino is related to some degree. the gene had to originate from a single animal at one point. so every time you breed two trempers together your inbreeding somewhat. with that in mind, i feel its even more important to use caution when deciding on weather or not to breed leopard geckos that are to closely related.

i think marcia way is a good way to woroking...probably if in future i will need to fix something i will use the imbreeding..but the secret is go in outcross every 3 generations..
dogs and geckos are different...if you do the same woth dogs you can put your selection in the trash for sure...
....technically every morph have a poor genetic pool...

Visit our friends