new beardies

Perefalcon

Jill?????
ok I'm gonna be getting 8 beardies in on thursday and I haven't gotten a chance to do a huge amount of research yet....that's what tomorrow being my day off is for!!! LOL

but I do want to know 2 things immediately so I can pick them up, what substrate is best for these guys and what light is best. They're very young and I'm going to be keeping them for now in the big 55 gallon tank in the living room, they'll be in there for roughly 2 months before I let any of them go

Any suggestions whatsoever are most welcome

OH and any links to great sites with lots of info!!!

N

Nastynotch

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
^^great site!

i think tile works best for beardies, expecially since it holds in the heat. its what i use for mine.

and ive got one of the big lamp lights. i forget what wat. but ill find it for you. just be sure to keep things around 110 degrees on one side, and about 85-90 on the other.

baths two or three times a week are also great.

be sure to post your pictures tomorrow

gixxer3420

How young are they? babies tend to be aggressive towards each other, nipping at tails and feet. i keep my babies seperate from each other because of this. I would keep a close eye on them since you are going to have them all in one tank. When you say veyr young makes me think that the 55 gallon is going to be to large for them to get their food. Again you are going to have one dragonthats going to get all the food. your just going to have to keep a close eye on them. Also if they are very young i would have anything two high for them to climb on in their cage, you don't want them to fall and hurt themselves. i use that substrate that comes in the brik, i think its cocanut fiber? i use this on all my adults and babies and have yet to have a problem with it. Hope this helps you out.

N

Nastynotch

gixxer3420 said:
When you say veyr young makes me think that the 55 gallon is going to be to large for them to get their food. Again you are going to have one dragonthats going to get all the food.

my dragon goes nuts for crickets. hungry or full he flys around the cage looking for them. its crazy. very agressive when it comes to food.

So its might be likely that you get a dragon like that. and like he said, they might hog the food. i didnt really think about that at first.

gixxer3420

With the experience i have had with breeding dragons for 6 years, the baby dragons are ruthless to each other and only the stronger survive when housed together. thats why i raise my little dragons one per show box. Once you post some pics up of them i can help you out a little more, since we'll know more about them.

Perefalcon

Jill?????
well, I know that they all hatched between the 17th and 19th this month, like I said, very young...and pics are gonna have to wait, they're not gonna be sent out till next monday now :( But I'd rather wait on the weather a few extra days than risk their health

brandy101010

I would keep them seprate. It's up to you though. For babies it's best to have something they can not ingest as a substrate. As adults, I used sifted play sand.

Your going to love them! They are so funny!

NicoleO

I agree that they all need to be separated. I've been breeding beardies for two years now and I only keep them together for their first few days until they start eating after that they're all separated to make sure that everyone gets an equal share of food. Eight will be a lot of mouths to feed seeing as beardies eat a lot as babies. Make sure that you always have fresh greens in with each baby to get them started on eating them since they tend to eat more greens as adults. If you're getting eight to start breeding I hope that they're not related because you can't imbreed bearded dragons or you'll end up with small stupid hatchling plus anyone that knows anything about bearded dragons won't buy an imbred hatchling. If you can go get The Bearded Dragon Manual it will help a lot plus please look at www.beautifuldragons. com both of those helped me a great deal after I got my beardies. Since the babies are so young keep them on paper towels until they're at least 6 months and if you have any more questions please ask because these guys are going to be a handful.

Perefalcon

Jill?????
NicoleO said:
If you're getting eight to start breeding I hope that they're not related because you can't imbreed bearded dragons or you'll end up with small stupid hatchling plus anyone that knows anything about bearded dragons won't buy an imbred hatchling.

I'm only keeping 1 of them, which ever is the best out of the group. They're all from the same clutch, and 1 female is already claimed once they're sexable....long time away I know, especially after reading sooo much the last few days. I'm hoping to eventually have a breeding pair of beardies, but it'll prolly be a while before I get the mate for the one I keep. Greens however are no issue...I'm one of those crazy people who has a second fridge just to hold all my fruits and veggies cause I eat so many of them...especially since I can't eat meat since I've been preggers....baby must be a vegitarian (no offense to any vegitarians)...my supply is so nuts that I think that the beardies will be in love with that fridge.

Perefalcon

Jill?????
Well, they're due to arrive any time now, I've just gotta wait on UPS to get their butts over here....I'm soooo impatient!!! I'll post pics as soon as I can!

gecko_man2

The 55 will be fine for 8 baby beardeds, but you gotta watch them at feeding. If you are only gonna keep them for 2 months and are gonna keep one of them I suggest you get one of the powersun bulbs from LLL reptile. They need uv light and I have seen what the effects are of not using uv lighting on them. Plus their colors get brighter.

gixxer3420

55 gallon is not alright for babies :main_thumbsdown: They should be housed by themselves. Trust me on this, these little guys are young and dragons are aggrressive when it comes to eating and only one of the dragons will get the food.

Perefalcon

Jill?????
OF COURSE I'M EXCITED!!!!

BY THE WAY, they're here, they got here like 20 minutes after I left for work, so rob put them in the herp room to warm up and relax after their trip. I've already picked out my favorite, it's the smallest one, and it's showing the best color.

Now, no one freak, but they're gonna be in the 55 all together for about 3 days, until I get the seperation stuff all put together. I'm gonna make 4 compartments in the 55 so that I can keep 2 in each section, and I'm gonna seperate them by size. I took a few pics of my little one that I'm most likely keeping...it's soooo adorable!!!!!!:main_laugh:

gixxer3420

Good luck, they are small to small to have been shipped. i hope you got them out of a home that couldn't take care of them. i would hope no breeder would ship them that small, my opinions of course. i would wait and see what ones are your favorite because there colors are going to change. Do you know what the parents where and did you get to see pics of them? Good luck with them, i would keep a very close eye on them even having them split up 2 dragons per section you could still have problems.

Perefalcon

Jill?????
he's a very reputable breeder that I got them from, only reason he shipped them so soon is that we only live a short distance from each other and the weather was very mild yesterday and today. That and he didn't have the room for them, we all know how that goes!!!! yeah I know that their colors are gonna change...but look at that face!!!!

gixxer3420

Good breeders always have the room or find the room. i don;t ship my dragons until 8 weeks, plus they go through alot of color change in this time and you get abtter idea of what your selling.

Perefalcon

Jill?????
he wasn't worried about how they'd turn out color wise, the dad's a sunburst and mom's a normal. I plan on keeping them for the next 2 months to see how everyone turns out before I make my choice. They may be staying up to 4 months, I'm not sure yet.

They're soooo nutty, here's another pic...can you say PEEK A BOO!!!!

Visit our friends