Eating paper towels

T

TheHiddenGecko

Anyone ever have a gecko that actually eats paper towels? I found one of my males doing it for the first time and I have no idea why. I just took the paper towel out for now so nothing bad could happen.

T

TheHiddenGecko

LeosForLess said:
You arent responding on aim but if theyre wet it could be for water.
Then why doesn't he just lap up the water or drink from his water bowl?

GroovyGeckos.com

"For the Gecko Eccentric"
I have caught one of my Leos "in a fight" with a paper towel. Nothing happened as the paper stayed intact. Has not happened again.

Maybe just has some issues?... I thought.:D

G

GeckoMandi

I have seen mine licking paper towels after misting, but never eating them that is weird.

D

dsreptiles

TheHiddenGecko said:
Then why doesn't he just lap up the water or drink from his water bowl?

I've had some geckos that REFUSE to drink out of water dishes so I sprayed the bottoms of the tank and some of my more friendly geckos would lap water from the tip of the water bottle as I let the water slightly drip. Figured it's better to pamper them than to let them dehydrate.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I have a female that accidently ate some wet paper towel while shedding, she had a REAL hard time passing out the paper, she even squeaked while trying to push it out. I had to help her slowly pull it out eventually. So, I no long use paper towel in their humid hides.

cheeseball705

i have a hole in my paper towel that i use in my cage, but it is also near the food dish where i keep my mealworms and i assume that it is the mealworms as i know they eat paper.

BalloonzForU

gothra said:
I have a female that accidently ate some wet paper towel while shedding, she had a REAL hard time passing out the paper, she even squeaked while trying to push it out. I had to help her slowly pull it out eventually. So, I no long use paper towel in their humid hides.

I have seen that too.

T

TheHiddenGecko

Hmm very interesting comments. I guess I'll keep a close eye on him and see what happens.

Stitch

I know that some of my geckos have caught some of the paper towel when attacking its food. It does look like it's fighting with the paper towel :main_laugh: . But mine have never torn off a piece. If you think that your leo is not getting enough water try a shorter water dish. I have heard of leos basically not even realizing there is water in the cage. I guess the ledge was too high and the gecko never discovered the water. After switching to a dish with a smaller ledge the gecko seemed to have noticed.

T

TheHiddenGecko

Stitch said:
I know that some of my geckos have caught some of the paper towel when attacking its food. It does look like it's fighting with the paper towel :main_laugh: . But mine have never torn off a piece. If you think that your leo is not getting enough water try a shorter water dish. I have heard of leos basically not even realizing there is water in the cage. I guess the ledge was too high and the gecko never discovered the water. After switching to a dish with a smaller ledge the gecko seemed to have noticed.

His dish is already pretty small. It's just a little gatorade cap. I might try something a little smaller and see if that works.

Stitch

I use the Gatoraid caps for my baby leos. Any smaller and the water will probably evaporate by the end of the day. I don't think there's much more you cold do.

Visit our friends