Temperature Zone Confusion

G

GeckoAZ

Alright. I got a rack system a couple of weeks ago and have use a Helix 1000 proportional thermostat with it. The rack has back heat. I place the probe for the Helix along the back so when you put the IRIS tray back in the probe isn't messed with. I set the Helix at 89 and always place the moist hide at the back left corner of each tub. When I use a temp gun the moist hides are about 82-83 degrees eventhough the thermostat is set to 89. I have it wrong, so can you help me set it right. Where do you place the probe, along the side of the tube drawer about 1/3 of the way from the back wall???

Thanks for the help, I know this is a really basic question...just want to get it right.

brandy101010

I don't know how others do it but I have a test tub set up in my rack. No geckos are in this tub. I taped the probe to the thermostat and the probe to the thermometer inside the test tub right over the heat source. If you have your probe directly on the heat source it is going to read the temp directly at the heat source. The tub is not going to be as hot as the actual flexwat because it has to go through the plastic. Hope that helped some.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I have to set my thermostats at 92* to get the warmest place in the tubs to be 90* although my racks have belly heat. You might want to experiment with moving the probe around to see how that affects the actual temperature in the humid hides. Also, when I used to have back-heated racks, I found that it was easier to get higher temps in the backs of the tubs if I had more air holes in the back of the tub vs. the front.

G

GeckoAZ

Thanks Paul and Brandy...the situation is fixed. I really appreciate your help!

gko reptiles

A New Generation
We also have a test box. I have never heard about anyone putting the probe right on the heat source! We set up a whole seperate "dummy box" and the probe is inside the same kind of hide the we use for our leos. (There are different hides for different racks, that's why we do it this way.) The hide should be at the back of the box.

I know that I'm a little late on this, but I hope it can maybe help in the future?! :)

Visit our friends