Slightly confused...

DragonBeards

Obsessed by reptiles...
OK, so I was looking up infor on gargs today, making ure my enclosure was alright. On some sites I went to, it said gargs should be kept alone, on others it said 2-3 could be kept in the same tank, so now I'm confused. I have a 20g tall tank. How many gargoyles would I be able to put in it (money allowing of course)?

Thanks,

DragonBeards

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I also did quite a bit of research about this before getting my gargoyle and found 2 opinions which seem to be contradictory but may not really be. In general, I've seen so many posts about gargoyles not doing well together (biting each others' tails off, for example) that I'm not planning to have more than one. Some posts say that they can co-exist if they are in a really big enclosure (most likely bigger than 20g) with lots of hiding places so each one can stake out a territory not near the other. One person, Steve Cemelli of leapinleachies said that he has best luck with his breeding groups if they are in really small and close quarters: he keeps his 1.2 groups in plastic drawers. I would guess in this case, everyone just hides out under the cork bark and can't even move around enough to bother the other, but this is just speculation.

Aliza

DragonBeards

Obsessed by reptiles...
OK, I think that makes sense. Yeah, with how much money I have I probably wouldn't be able to get more than one garg at the fair (though I might, as I got 3 cresties for $20 total), but I thought it would be good to ask anyways. One of those things where it's always good just to know.

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
Unless you want your gargs to be beat up, honesty keep them seperated, even fe day old hatchlings pick on one another. Some breeders do have sucess keeping them in groups, but honestly my friends that do have the in groups have them in very large setups, and they still bicker at times and nip at one another. Personally all of my gargs have seperate enclosures and I have no plans to house any of them together.

Visit our friends