albino Strains

bamsd619

Hi everyone:

can you cross albino strains and still get albino offspring? (example do I only breed tremper x tremper?

Thanks!
b

GroovyGeckos.com

"For the Gecko Eccentric"
Yes you can only get Albinos from breeding the same strain together.

Bell X Bell
RW X RW
Tr. X Tr.

Breeding say Bell X Tremper, RW X Bell, or whathaveyou, is generally a bad idea. It would only give you 100% het, for both strains anyways.

Then the confusion... Oh the confusion. LOL:p

O

okapi

I am suprised that by now no one has tried to produce geckos that are homozygous for more than one albino trait. For example, breed a bell to a tremper. Breed those double hets togeather and get a double homozygous albino. Then breed that to a rainwater to get triple hets. Then breed those togeather and get a triple homozygous albino. This project would create alot of confusion, for example, how would one tell a double or triple albino from a one gene albino and what to do with all the extras, which would produce alot of confusion in identifying their genetics. But I still cant keep wondering, what would that look like? Im assuming that since all three strains seem to block the formation of pigment at different places in its process, that a very faded looking albino would be produced. And what would the eyes look like? Would they be more of a pinkish red because all three strains also hinder the production of eye pigment at different places in the process. If only scientists would take the time to identify all the genes and their purposes in the leopard gecko genome instead of working on chimp and humans :main_rolleyes:

O

okapi

And to answer your question (got sidetracked :main_rolleyes: )

Breeding say a tremper to a bell would produce normal offspring het for both albino genes. Why? becuase each of the three albino genes are mutations of genes that code the protiens that produce dark pigment, and each of those mutant genes "live" on a different place on the DNA strand. They all three disrupt the geckos ability to make the pigment, but at different stages of the process. That is the reason why each albino strain looks different. Its actually a good thing. If all three lived on the same place or "locus", (latin for location) it would be hard to tell them apart. Each of the three strains have their own unique beauty. They can be combined with other traits and so everyone can have their own different goals. Some people like bell hybinos, some like aptors, etc. With the different strians everyone can find the right look for them.

I know that in Corn snakes there is a morph in which two different mutated albino genes share the same locus. They both are expressed when paired becuase they both block pigment production, but they look almost the same when they are each in their own homozygous form. The double het albino morph is called the "Ultramel"

GroovyGeckos.com

"For the Gecko Eccentric"
This project would create alot of confusion, for example, how would one tell a double or triple albino from a one gene albino and what to do with all the extras, which would produce alot of confusion in identifying their genetics.

Thats exactly why it is a bad idea. It has been done, maybe not all three, but I have seen a "Tremper/Bell" Albino, it wasnt really anything different.

O

okapi

In theory a double homozygous albino would look different. They are at different loci and have their own unique looks on their own. Ive never seen one and if someone claimed to have one they would have to prove their claim by test breeding it to multiple albinos of each of its "parent" strains to prove that it is in fact a pure double homozygous morph, and not one albino het for the other....

Visit our friends