Preferred form of Heating?

C

corvettefan

What would be the preferred form of heating? I was thinking of getting a heat pad for the day and a night bulb for night. What would be the best for a young gecko and an adult?

Redleg

Heat tape is my preferred heat source. Cut to desired length and you are set. You will need a good proportional thermostat to go with it.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
A heat pad is fine too. If you use a thermostat there should be no need for a light at night as well since the floor temps should remain constant.

Aliza

C

corvettefan

A heat pad is fine too. If you use a thermostat there should be no need for a light at night as well since the floor temps should remain constant.

Aliza

So a heat mat on one side? Sounds good. I was going to plan on making a enclosure out of plexiglass and wood. Will the heat mats be dangerous using wood? I guess I could put a small towel in between the pad and the tank...

L

LazyAndi

UTH.
I just recently put in a thermometer... My gecko just spends all her time staring at it or sleeping next to it now, like she thinks it's her new best friend XD

C

corvettefan

Has anybody had any experience with Fluker's Heat Mat? The PetPeople where I live is don't normally have anything heating wise except for bulbs, but my brother saw a heat mat from flukers there, and I might get that. Hopefully it was the heat mat and not the heat rock...

GeckoNub

I just recently put in a thermometer... My gecko just spends all her time staring at it or sleeping next to it now, like she thinks it's her new best friend XD

That is so cute :D

I use a heat mat in a wooden viv and i dont have any problems with it.

I think if its getting hot enough to cause problems to wood then what is it doing to ur gecko? :shocked2:

I think you definitly have to get a thermostat and a digital thermometer though.

That way you can be sure everything is safe :main_thumbsup:

Leopardo Geckaprio

I have a UTH in my 20 gallon but its not doing the job, temps in the 80 to 85 range and 65 on the cool side. Had to get a heat lamp to supplement my UTH. I only plan to have it on 8 hours a day or so.

C

corvettefan

What are the correct temperatures for the warm side and cool side for geckos? I've never known, just kinda kept them around 90 in the warm.

leoman777

the warm side should be in the lower to mid 90's and the cool side should be in the lower 80's to the mid 70's

mcarthon

if your having trouble with heating get a infrared heating lamp

you can keep those on 24 hrs since leos cannot see it

C

corvettefan

if your having trouble with heating get a infrared heating lamp

you can keep those on 24 hrs since leos cannot see it

I think that's what I'm going to do. The lamp/bulb we use for our other geckos is perfect, and I think that a heat pad would be a hassle with getting the right heat.

LizMarie

I think that's what I'm going to do. The lamp/bulb we use for our other geckos is perfect, and I think that a heat pad would be a hassle with getting the right heat.

I actually experienced the opposite. I could never get the right temp with a bulb but using a heat pad with a control device I'm at ease. I guess you could see what works for you..

C

corvettefan

I actually experienced the opposite. I could never get the right temp with a bulb but using a heat pad with a control device I'm at ease. I guess you could see what works for you..

It's the thermostat that's the problem. I don't think I can find one.

LizMarie

It's the thermostat that's the problem. I don't think I can find one.

if you have a debt card, pre-paid credit card (gift card) you should be able to order one, it's not that expensive and is sometimes even cheaper than buying one in a store. If you don't have any of those things but have a parent/family member that does you should ask them if they are willing to let you use it, if need be you can always pay them back and the money would go right back to the account as if nothing was ever used.

Just a suggestion. My mom was always always nice enough to let me borrow her credit until I got my own :main_laugh:

Visit our friends