Blue tongue skink

Not sure if this forum discusses about blue tongue skinks, but recently, I've fallen in love with them. I was watching some youtube videos from "Wickens Wicked Reptiles" and I just, I don't know, fell in love. I eventually lost interest and started falling in love with crested geckos, but then I just went to an exotic pet store and found a skink on display. Move over Crested gecko, Blue tongue skinks has taken my heart. So, today I decided I'm gonna get a Skink! There as a problem though, I didn't know one single thing about skinks. So, I did research on the basic things about skinks like their types, and diet (So many different answers). However, I decided that It would be a lot better if I bought a Skink next year (Which is a long time) because of a few reasons: I'm broke :(, I have no research, and I just bought another reptile this year so I need to cool my mom's rage on me getting another pet.
If ya'll do have any experience with these beloved skinks :) can any of yall give tell me everything I need to knwo about taking care of a skink, thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I haven't personally had experience with skinks, but I can tell you that they will need minimally a 40 gallon enclosure (36"x18") and will need a basking light and a florescent light for UVB. The florescent light bulb will need to be replaced every 6-12 months. You may be able to get a proper sized cage by paying attention to ads on Craigslist. If you don't have much in the way of funds, think carefully about whether or not you should get a skink. If you're in a situation where you're in high school and may go to college within a few years (I mention this since you talk about your mom, and I'm assuming you live with her), think carefully about what you're going to do with the skink then.

Aliza

I haven't personally had experience with skinks, but I can tell you that they will need minimally a 40 gallon enclosure (36"x18") and will need a basking light and a florescent light for UVB. The florescent light bulb will need to be replaced every 6-12 months. You may be able to get a proper sized cage by paying attention to ads on Craigslist. If you don't have much in the way of funds, think carefully about whether or not you should get a skink. If you're in a situation where you're in high school and may go to college within a few years (I mention this since you talk about your mom, and I'm assuming you live with her), think carefully about what you're going to do with the skink then.

Aliza
Thanks, I'll have to think about that, it never occurred to me what I should do with my pets when I go to college :( I'll eventually have enough money to take care of my skink and my other pets by September but then won't have enough money to use after high school :( I'll have to think about this, thanks very much

Visit our friends